Lottery Loser Redecorates Home With His Shame

Flashermac

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a dinner party in Minburi once and realized when the taxi dropped me off that I had forgotten to pick up a bottle of wine or bring anything. God damnit! Just outside the couple's home an old lady with a bicycle had one of those makeshift tables set up with lottery tickets. I bought one (pair) as a joke just to bring something. Anything.

Anyway, was surprised at how happy my friend's wife was to get this. Cool. Since then it's become a de facto small gesture of thanks when I don't know what else to get. And it's surprisingly efficient.

Thai lottery itself is shady as hell and expensive for the shitty reward if you win. I love the fact that they have an underground lottery running blatantly in the open side by side with the state lottery (and many times you can buy the tickets from the same folks for either one).

Thaksin made the underground lottery legal when he was the poobah. As soon as he was out, it went underground again. (I wonder what his interest in it was. :hmmm: )

Back in my Peace Corps days, another volunteer in Buriram bought a lottery ticket just for the hell of it. It was 20 baht a ticket in those days. To our amazement, he won the 20,000 baht prize. Our PC monthly living allowance was 1,800 baht, so that was a helluva lot of money. I decided to start buying them ... and never won anything more than the last two digits booby prize. :(

I quiet like the effect. I played the same lotto numbers for years. One night I got the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th numbers and both supplementaries.

So 7 of the 8 numbers I had. Paid just on $4000.00. Division 1 which I missed paid $750,000.00. Big difference. Never played again. I figured that was as close as i was ever going to get based on the odds.