Thong Lor Police Exploiting Tourists - Sukhumvit

JaiRai

Surprised to see this in the BP - the stories floating around gain more and more credibility. Surprised to hear of Drummond's imminent departure.

I don't view Thailand with rose tinted glasses (the grotesque corruption, the informal caste system, the meanness behind some of those smiles -- make one wince), but I do have some affection for the place. Hope it isn't totally going to shit.

Very interesting read.

http://www.bangkokpo...umvit-shakedown

------

It was about 9pm on a weeknight in March last year, and Mat, an American business consultant, was trying to hail a taxi on Sukhumvit Soi 36 when he was stopped by six policemen on motorcycles.

“We need to understand that ganja is not illegal in other countries, and so some foreigners use it without thinking that it’s wrong,†said. Pol Col Chutrakul Yodmadee

Does'nt he mean ..... " foreigners need to understand that ganja is illegal in Thailand, it wrong and if foreigners use it they will be arrested"

I'm with JaiRai - I'm hardly a believer in the august Bangkok Post, but for them to be willing to run such a substantial article on the issue, I'm inclined to assume that there's an issue, and that it's an issue that someone is interested in having brought to an end... Glad to hear the instances are declining, as I would hate for this to be another deterrent to high-quality tourists enjoying Thailand and contributing to the economy!

YimSiam

That was my suspicion - that there's an agenda to give Police (Thonglor specifically) a little slap-down, and that it's already had or is having its impact...

Tough way and exhausting way to run a newspaper, always having to be on the lookout for which way the wind blows, and adjust accordingly! Although that's probably the default position for most of the newspapers in the world, to a greater or lesser degree - even just thinking about advertisers, if not political and censorship types of issues. Glad that's not my business!