Thong Lor Police Exploiting Tourists - Sukhumvit

JaiRai

Now in Time magazine ...

The Land of Smiles? How about the Land of Shakedowns?

http://time.com/3674...down-extortion/

I think something has clearly come down for the Post to even print that...now Time!.

This is probably the last police district in Bangkok that anyone would want to fuck with in any way. On the other side this is probably the best police district to help if you have a problem....if you aren't a tourist.

Happy to hear that the officer mentioned in the article is taking these complaints seriously. About time...

A year or two ago I saw a post titled “Fuck The Police†on a Thai forum. It was obviously written by an angry sex tourist with minimal Thai experience or knowledge – maybe unsuccessful with their annual ejaculation or just not too smart. Or both.

Thonglor would be the LAST police district in Thailand I would say this about as they do have responsibility for Soi Cowboy.

Am willing to bet that most owners of banks and most owners of Thai industry live in Thonglor District. Probably the majority of the government as well. Thais living in Thailand will always be the priority with tourists pretty far down the ladder.

Not sure who would know but I think that Thonglor is probably the highest percentage of Muslims in any central Thai police district and they have- or had - an incredible number of language abilities...Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese. most Myanmar languages, etc.

Does anyone know if this is being covered in the Thai press as well?

Note - it looks like Time magazine author may have credibility issues and left gaps in the story(?).

coconuts article questioning Time piece

<snip>

----

"The harrowing, first-hand story written by Ian Lloyd Neubauer reports a damning account of police misconduct said to have happened at “a terrace bar in the Silom Road area†that is at odds with information and records provided by the police.

“It was Christmas Eve and I was at the upstairs area of a terrace bar in the Silom Road area having a late-night drink,†Neubauer wrote in Time’s article published Jan. 20. “At around 2 a.m. I called it a night and descended to the ground floor. There I saw half a dozen police officers searching the premises and interrogating the bartender, who was handcuffed on a chair.â€

However inquiries with the police department responsible for that area insisted no such incident occurred Dec. 25 or around that date. Meanwhile, officers at a different police station in another neighborhood confirmed Neubauer was among five foreigners they said were detained on suspicion of drug use several kilometers away in the Sathon district at a restaurant known for selling drugs to its clients....."

Quibbling over details here possibly. How far toward Silom does Sathorn police district extend? As a Bangkok newbie I at times confused the two. Nobody is naming the bar which could conceivably be the same.

If the restaurant is KNOWN for selling drugs how come it's still open?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't remember that and had to look it up. You're right -

"He was jailed briefly in the early 1980s after offending the military autocrat, Gen Kriangsak Chomanan."

I didn't know him, but I knew his son, Julius Gorman. I remember Kriangsak as PM in the late 1970s. I wonder what Michael Gorman did.

http://www.bangkokpo...1983-dies-r-i-p