Nice restaurant near Soi 5?

fatbastard33

I will be in Bangkok in a couple of weeks time and I will be meeting up with a little cutiee.

I am interested in taking her to a nice little restaurant near Soi 5 (or certainly on Sukhumvit upto about Soi 33).

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Fatbastard33

Yes, and the noodle cart outside Foodland is decent, too. (If it is still there)

On the West side of Soi 3, there is a decent Indian place, with a brick oven, for bread, out front.

In the first floor of Landmark Plaza, (equal to Soi 4, pretty much), there is a Thai/Chinese place overlooking the sidewalk that has a few good dishes, but not at dirt cheap prices. Some people like the Soi 7 food court. And, the Amari brunch is decent...less than THB400, I believe.

But, the closer you get to Soi 22, the better the food gets. (Between Asoke/SC station and Emporium's station)

How about The Warbler on Soi 2, down from NEP? Since you mention Soi 33, The Londoner, right on the corner, has good food, good home-brewed beer, and some cozy booths.

Those MBK Sukiyaki restaurants are fun on dates. They have a electric pot in the middle of the table then you add broth and then you add whatever you want. There is just about anything you could think on the menu all presented on nice little trays and ready to add. Seafood, vegetables, tofu, pig liver, oysters, etc, etc. Also that restaurant specializes in delicious roast duck.

Most Thai girls know exactly what to order and how to cook it.

There are branches all over Bangkok. One in the basement of Robinson Dept store Soi 15? another and bigger one in the lower level of the World Trade Center. Also in Mah Boon Kong Center.

Food Center I think it is called, corner of Soi 5 and Sukhumvit. Decent Thai and seafood, also some Italian dishes (no idea on those). Also, Soi 7 food court, lots of good seafood, and other Thai/Issan/Lao dishes. Soi 36 offers my favorite, Vientiane Kitchen. Also, Soi 23 Old Siam house is really good, and good atmosphere!

If you come off of Soi Cowboy, you come to a beer garden like thiong, a restaurant called the Dutchman, make a right, go down about a few doorstowards Sukhumvit, and it is on your left. It is a brown wooden looking place, looks like a dark old Issan style place, go in and floor tables on your right, and sit down tables on your left, lots of old Thai decor. You can just go to Soi 23 and Sukhumvit, walk down a few meters or so headed to the back end of Soi Cowboy, and it is on your right. Sorry for the bad directions, I was quite drunk at the time.

I would say OH's directions are quite good, except that the restaurant at the corner of Soi Cowboy and Sukhumvit Soi 23 is "Old Dutch". The Thai restaurant is really quite close: you can see it across the Soi 23 when you stand at the entrance of Old Dutch.

I was there once, it was good. I tried to visit again on my last afternoon in BKK in March. The sign on the door seems to tell you that the place is open everyday even in the afternoons, but it was firmly closed. I was quite disappointed.

Wagner

Archived