Icao Rejects Thai Ideas To Remedy Airline Safety

waerth

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" They send a plan to the ICAO to remedy their failures and the ICAO said not good enough :p "

The changes are agreed, now lets hope everyone, can come to a compromise on the time frame to impliment these changes, perhaps they will ... :sad:

" 6 to 8 weeks should be enough. ICAO said 6 to 8 months would be reasonable. Thai DCA wants 2 years. "

Anyone know what exactly is involved to make these changes ? A good point why it should take such a long time .....

Primarily procedural and process I think, testing and certification by the sound of it. Most countries will follow a standard template in order to ensure ICAO compliance. My guess, and I have no knowledge other than working with some slightly related DCA satellite organisations, is that they choose to do it the "Thai" way rather than follow anyone's process that is already accepted.

It also seems they want DCA out of the airport operating business, presumably seeing a conflict of interest where the regulator operates airports they have no independent oversight of safety. DCA needs to hive off the airport operation to a separate entity. Might need a government edict to create it but no big deal in a junta state. Transfer all airport based people to the new entity and isolate them from DCA. Budget would come initially from DCA since these are in any case state funds.

All could be done in fairly short order especially without a pesky opposition to worry about, though it might take a few years to iron all the bugs out the important thing is to make an advance now. Delaying just looks bad, almost as if parties might be trying to protect interests. Exactly the sort of thing ICAO would not want to see happening since it is precisely those interests that would be perceived as the conflict they seek to remove.

Transport Minister Prajin Juntong will implement "special measures" to pre-empt moves by foreign countries to ban Thai airlines due to “significant safety concerns†cited by the International Civil Aviation Organization.

Special measures, hmm. Let's see, what do we think. My guess is these will go in one of two directions:

1. Force DCA to act in order to gain compliance in a sensible time frame by means of junta action.

2. Threaten other countries carriers with similar sanctions in a tit for tat spat that completely misses the point.

Wouldn't it be so refreshing to see someone grasp the nettle and do the right thing.

From what I got out of all messages, Thailand needs to comply to a list of 100 points. They only comply to 21 .... Cambodia, Aseans 2nd worst complies to 34!!!

According to this article Thailand was warned in 2005 already! And never did a thing.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/PM-promises-fast-ending-to-aviation-hurdle-30257049.html

"The audit in 2005 required an improvement in the Civil Aviation Deparment’s operations which have not yet met international standards. Another audit this year showed no improvement."

So they had 10 years to fix it and did nothing.