Disillusionment

" In response those who did not agree formed the Seri Thai underground to resist."

Code name Ruth ....... 50,000 anti-Japanese Thai guerrillas, via Cambodia, Burma and Laos, who played an important role in the eventual defeat of Japan.

Thank you for enlighting me to this fact, and has made me proud of my country and these brave men .............

"50,000 anti-Japanese Thai guerrillas, via Cambodia, Burma and Laos, who played an important role in the eventual defeat of Japan."

Something I'd not been aware of too.

I don't want to hijack the focus of this thread, so the following is intended to be illustrational, for comparison to the revelation (to me) that the facts of war are not always apparent.

In the Gallipoli campaign, seen down under as an Australian and NZ affair, actual deaths are far higher from the UK and notably France.

In our popular culture, the French have a reputation of not fighting, with jokes such as "For Sale: WWII 303 French rifle, unused, dropped once..." Obviously the French fought well, and sadly died well.

As you can see from the illustration the Turks suffered also, terrible.