Draft Thai Constitution Aims To Put Brakes On Political Parties

cavanami

Hmmmmm...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-16/new-thai-charter-to-curb-party-powers-while-paving-way-for-polls

The backers of Thailand’s draft charter say it will enshrine democracy in a country prone to military coups. Critics warn it will curb the power of elected politicians and risk deepening a long-running political divide.

The proposed constitution to be released Friday to the ruling junta’s reform council would limit the chance of a single-party government by introducing a complex new voting system. It could prevent the kind of electoral dominance achieved by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose allied parties have won every ballot since 2001...

“In short everything that every citizen ever felt the need to fight for has been granted and all everyone has to do is to own, embrace and protect this constitution as if their life depended on it,†Bowornsak and his co-author wrote.

This promises to be one of the more ridiculous attempts to legally justify autocracy we've seen for quite a while -- it's so much more difficult without having Marxism to rely on... I look forward to seeing the final text, to see how far they've gone; call it morbid curiosity on my part...

Draft Thai constitution complete, but strife seen ahead

http://news.yahoo.com/draft-thai-constitution-complete-strife-seen-ahead-155300305.html

Looks like "back to the future". A little like amnesty :dunno:

The generals who seized power in last year's coup in Thailand would be granted immunity from prosecution and unelected individuals allowed to become prime minister under a preliminary draft of a new constitution seen on Friday.

The draft seen by Reuters will be scrutinized by political stakeholders over the next five weeks. If endorsed, it would see a panel of so-called "wise men" steering junta-approved reforms and the adoption of a voting system derided by critics as regressive and likely to produce weak coalition governments...

Thais have glomped on it like it's the word of the century. Everything I read these days is talking about stakeholders, even when they are considering asking rice farmers what courses they liked to be taught in the local schools. I'm sure they've given a lot of thought to that.

post-98-0-05909300-1429439256_thumb.jpg

Everyone knows the country needs repair and untity, I'm happy to be " stakeholder" in my country's future, not such a bad choice of word. As far as the new draft is concerned more of of our citizens will have legal rights in the new draft (3rd gender) which can only be right and fair.

I personally see nothing so far that concerns me, if everyone puts the country first, i'm optimisc for the future, athough it's going to take quite a long time.

" Would limit the chance of a single-party government "

Maybe this might be a good thing, does this not work in other countries, where to get suffient control a goverment has to work with other groups to rule ... any advice on this

The 1997 Constitution process consulted stakeholders - this one will not, unless you count a handful of rich guys as the 'stakeholders' for a nation of tens of millions. They ought to give this constitution a really catchy, memorable name - because otherwise, in a handful of years it will have faded entirely into Thailand's shadowed, anti-democratic archives... Imagine, a constitution the main purpose of which is too prevent the democratic voice from being heard, or institutionalized. Must be weird to be on the committee, sorting through the ideas: "Let's see, we have No Voting At All, that would work, but is extreme... How 'bout Vote, But Don't Count The Votes? I think we all appreciate the utility of So Freakin' Byzantine, No One Will Bother to Try to Understand..."

And so on...

yimsiam

Just as matter of interest, can anyone give me examples of countries, that have perfect constitutions and political systems that are fair to all.

I would like to learn more, and do some research on true demoracy and how it has been achived in these countries ...