Interesting Ancestors

Interesting facts about ... Vikings

Didn't know the vickings laid siege to Paris

Didn't know they took money ( Danegeld ) instead of attacking cities

Didn't know they orginated English words such as axle, crook, raft, knife, plough and leather.

Didn't know they were unafraid of death

Didn't know they founded the early East Slavic state with it's capital Kiev

Didn't know the Vickings had a shortage of women due to selective female infanticid

Didn't know they had some cool names like Ivor the boneless, and Bjorn Ironside

Didn't know Vikings were fashion conscious and liked green and purple

Didn't know the Vickings traded with Islam

Anyone else got anything interesting to say about their ancestors, that I might not know. Understandably Australian board members may be unable to contribute much more than I already know.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" Your ancestors were Vikings?! "

No ... as you well know ... that was not the thread, it was interersting ancestors I used Vikings as a starter. I could have used Thai, but most board members already know enough. If you are proud of being Scotish you might have some interesting facts about your ancestors. If you have nothing interesting to say that's fair enough but why troll, just ignore my post ..

Urban Dictionary: trolling

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Top Definition. trolling. Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, ...

"Your ancestors were Vikings?!"

No ... as you well know ... that was not the thread, it was interersting ancestors I used Vikings as a starter.

I did assume that they weren't, however the last line of your thread states, "Anyone else got anything interesting to say about their ancestors,......." implying that the facts preceding were about your own ancestors. :shakehead

I did assume that they weren't, however the last line of your thread states, "Anyone else got anything interesting to say about their ancestors,......." implying that the facts preceding were about your own ancestors. :shakehead

Thank you, I use this board to improve my useage of English. I don't doubt what you say is correct, although I am having difficulty in seeing anything other than what it says ... and your incorrect spelling of proceeding ....

Er, his spelling seems correct to me, but what would I know.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/preceding

I also read it the same way MM did.

To that I would add your statement

"Anyone else got anything interesting to say about their ancestors, that I might not know." Should I think have ended with ?

Unless of course your point was purely rhetorical.

Thank you, I use this board to improve my useage of English. I don't doubt what you say is correct, although I am having difficulty in seeing anything other than what it says ... and your incorrect spelling of proceeding ....

As I didn't use the word "proceeding" (which would have made no sense anyway) I therefore didn't spell the word "preceding" incorrectly.

PS If you don't know what you are talking about then perhaps best not to try and correct others. Oops, I forgot you're a Thai and therefore always correct. :nono::shakehead:banghead:

PS If you don't know what you are talking about then perhaps best not to try and correct others. Oops, I forgot you're a Thai and therefore always correct. :nono::shakehead:banghead:

You are totally correct, as you point out ... I completely mixed these words up in the spelling .... proceeding and preceding. Again thank you for pointing out the error. Pity this thread has been derailed on grammar mistakes it might have been interesting well at least to me anyway, never mind ...