Rohingya Migrants = Illegal Migrants.

Coss

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told that many of the "Indian" peanut men and roti vendors one sees these days are actually Rohingyas. No idea if it's true, but after looking at the photos of Rohingyas, they certainly look it. :hmmm:

It is often true - they are on unbelieveable long-term migration on foot often, I remember finding them in northern Laos pushing or peddling their roti carts along the road, no destination, just keep moving, keep selling roti - and rohingyas from Myanmar.

While the Rohingyas are being persecuted in Burma it does need to be noted they are actually Bengali refugees to begin with. So not sure how you distinguish one group from the other.

By that measure you might have to say that white Americans are mainly Irish and Italian refugees, or that it's hard to distinguish between those whose ancestors got off the Mayflowers, and those who arrived on Virgin Atlantic... While the Burmese like to say that it's Bangladeshi migrants, you have to go back some generations for that. The reality is that the state and its borders include these people, and their laws have tried to exclude them for reasons of religion, race and ethnicity. They live in a shithole corner of the country, just give 'em nationality certificates and stop with multiple tiers of citizenship and discriminatory rules and application of law, and be done with it.... Though if you do that, the government loses one of its favorite scapegoats and common enemies, and who doesn't appreciate the value of having a dog to kick every once in a while?

Irish Americans make up about 10% of the population, Italian Americans less than that. There are even more Mexican Americans than Italian Americans now. The largest ethnic group is German American, at closer to 20%. (There are German speaking villages in the Dakotas. I had a friend from Strassburg, N.D. years ago who spoke English with a German accent.)

It is bizarre than Burma considers the Rohingyas immigrants, since most of them arrived to work for the British well over a century ago. Is immigrant a hereditary status? Reminds you of the way California used to regard Asians as "immigrants ineligible for citizenship".

BANGKOK, 21 May 2015 (NNT) - The Thai government has insisted the Royal Thai Navy did not fire shots to deter a boat load of Rohingyas away from entering the Thai territory.

Deputy Spokesperson of the Prime Minister’s Office Major General Sansern Kaewkamnerd claimed the Thai government has a non-violence policy when it deals with issues surrounding Rohingyas.

One Rohingya, who made it to Indonesia, reportedly accused Thailand of firing guns to prevent his boat from reaching the Thai territory on May 14th.

The Deputy Spokesperson added that every soldier, who was on duty on the same day, has purported that none of them had threatened the boat with guns.

According to them, the Rohingya refugees did not wish to reach Thailand and asked the navy soldiers for food and water. They even helped the refugee fix the boat’s engine.

The Major General added later that the Thai government will stay on course with its policy and treat the Rohingyas as illegal migrants according to the law if they enter Thailand.

However, if they were found beyond the Thai waters, they would be given basic needs such as food and water.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2015-05-21 footer_n.gif

Irish Americans make up about 10% of the population, Italian Americans less than that.

Sorry - as an Italian American, with an accursed Irish American brother-in-law, I think I may have an inflated sense of our dominance in the country...

Irish Americans still run most of the cities. The Italian Americans have quite a few too. They punch above their weight. :)

I was surprised to see the current ethnic breakdown from the 2010 census returns: German, Irish, African American, English, "American", Mexican, Italian.

- American apparently includes people who refused to identify their ancestry. German includes Swiss and Austrian,

By that measure you might have to say that white Americans are mainly Irish and Italian refugees,

Point I was making was they are one of the same. The Irish are from Ireland The Italians are from Italy. The Rohingya and the Bangladeshi are both from Bengal.

Then why do the Rohingyas and Bangladeshis fight with each other? The Indonesians say they have to keep them apart, since they can't get along together. It seems that Bangladesh has taken in 200,000 Rohingyas, but doesn't want any more and turns them back now.

And Bangladesh has enough trouble taking care of its own people:

Barred from Gulf, Young Bangladeshis Join Rohingyas to Head South

http://www.ndtv.com/...ad-south-764847

Then why do the Rohingyas and Bangladeshis fight with each other?

Isn't that a religious thing? Correct me if I am wrong. Both come from Bengal the Bangladeshi being Hindu and the Rohingyas Muslim..... :dunno: