How to be sure not to buy fake ''Lacoste''

MartinDK

Martin...

I started out bying the fakes,but the quality is not the same.

The thing that makes the difference is that the fakes are not 100 % cotton,and that makes all the difference imo.

Now lacoste is around halv price compared to DK,so it is worth it buying the real ones.

I have bought in central,and emporium,wich have a nice official lacoste shop.So just go to the big malls,most things there are genuine.

The same goes with all other products,i hate wearing cheap non cotton polos or t-shirts,especially in the humidity in los.

Just my 5 satangs.

Regards

Nick(from Copenhagen)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nick,

The ones i bourght in July last year still have excellent shape even that they have been washed tons of times. They are 100% cotton (of cause the fakes could say that as well and not be) The Tokyo departement store at MBK has a very nice selection af ''lacoste'' shirts etc. Thats where i bourght mine last year.

A Thai Gf of mine once gave me some shirts called ''crocodile'' after one wash they where like shit. I think they where priced 900 baht and also has the alligator logo on the cheast, but looked different from the one Lacoste use. Oh well.......

Best regards,

Martin-

Interesting thread.

I used to take the fake lacostes back to England on a regular basis, and years ago there were actually two sorts of fake - one was a heavier duty fake which I could only get from one particular seller in patpong, and the second was a far inferior version that everyone else sold.

You CAN tell the difference between the fakes and the originals, but I for one don't like the cut of the original lacoste shirt. It tends to have a very awkward looking collar that always looks too big for itself. The fakes have a trimmer, neater looking collar. And no, I don't think that the originals last 4 times longer than the fakes. I was given an original Lacoste as a Xmas gift from my company once, and it too became shabby in time.

Phil,

Same-same. I bought 2 "bootleg" Yves St. Laurent shirts in Hong Kong for pennies that, somehow, fitted my 'particular' blush.gif body shape perfectly, as if tailor-made. (Can you see the punchline coming, folks?) Yup, I foolishly went and bought an expensive original in London, just for the 'kudos' of it, and the cut was completely different, looked like complete shit on me, only good for work or a date with the ex-wife.

j frown.gif

I realize I may be in the small minority here, but I would still not buy a counterfeit product even if it looked better and lasted longer than the original. The reason: I just think it is wrong.

The people making and selling those items are breaking the law, and at the top of the chain are organized criminal syndicates that line the pockets of corrupt police officers and politicians. I just can't be comfortable putting money into those people's hands, when it should be in the hands of the innovative people who invented and/or developed the product.

Perhaps this has to do with the fact that I make a living in part thanks to materials that are protected by intellectual property laws.

TGL,

Jack

you are saying that your Bangkok copies of a Boss suit almost beat the originals. Does not surprise me because Boss is a middle class product within a nice marketing concept. The factories which produce Boss are not much different from your Bangkok taylor's ways of working. I do not use any Bangkok taylors but guys whom I know pay about 500 USD for a suit which then is Italian material and looks reasonable, but still not worth the money to my opinion.

Thaigirlman,

you mention Armani in one sentence with Boss which is a sacrileg anyway.We would have to clarify which Armani you are talking about, there are various ones. In case you mean the one with the 2000 $ - suits , there is nothing on earth that comes close to them except Brioni, again Italy.

basta

Martin,

late arrival but I do not read this section too often. The quality of Lacoste-fakes varies so much that you cannot say they are better or worse than the original, it depends on the manufacturer's decision what he invests into his product. There are two possible indicators for fakes : the tongue of the crocodile is supposed to be red, the copiers mostly do not do this. If you check the interior seams and feel a hard thread instead of soft wool , also fake. Lacoste is not a high end product and therefore easy to copy.

good luck

Archived