Thailand Extends Military Rule For Two More Years, Dragging Down The Economy

cavanami

...no surprise here...

Thailand Extends Military Rule For Two More Years, Dragging Down The Economy

http://blogs.barrons.com/asiastocks/2015/09/06/thailand-extends-military-rule-for-two-more-years-dragging-down-the-economy/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

On Sunday, Thailand’s National Reform Council voted down a draft constitution, helping the military junta to stay in power for at least two more years.

While this draft constitution, which includes an onerous “crisis panel†clause allowing a group of 22 members to seize executive power during a period of crisis, is widely expected to be voted down by the general public, analysts are nonetheless surprised that the rejection came so early.

“The speculation now in Bangkok is that hardline factions within the government may have wanted this draft to fail to avoid any transition… Borwornsak Uwanno, who led the committee drafting the constitution, said the military members of the NRC “listened to their senior people†according to one report, suggesting a pre-planned rejection,†wrote Bob Herrera-Lim at Teneo Intelligence, a geopolitical risk consultancy...

That is a profound strategy, I think. I don't really understand what the plan is, exactly, but when you run a dictatorship and need to finalize a document with the approval of your hand-picked panel members, it takes a singular talent to have your document roundly defeated...

Was on the lower Suk streets last night around two am - abandoned, a ghost town. Felt more like I was violating curfew than it did during the PDRC armed encampment days... At least the PDRC guys were friendly to farang, and full of Thai manners - towards guests, at least.

• Like 1

"Was on the lower Suk streets last night around two am - abandoned, a ghost town. Felt more like I was violating curfew than it did during the PDRC armed encampment days... "

Really?? This is not the time I would be out so I found your first hand report interesting

Even a year or two I thought it was packed...it used o be a complete circus Soi 3 to So 15

I hear people say al of the time " tahaan no good for turkakhit"

Bad scene...