Are Backpackers All C*nts?

Fiery Jack

Are Backpackers All C*nts?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are Backpackers All C*nts?

• Yes.
    • No, but the majority of them are.
    • No, but a minority of them are, giving the rest a bad name.
    • No, they're all okay with me, mate.

Thanks to KS I have found the old post, it made me laugh back then and still makes me laugh today, firkin classic

The wonderful Khoa San Road and its people...

Magnificent. Beautifully done. I tip my trilby, respectfully. :bow:

Oh dear. :down:

The British bird, Sarah, who talks of 'escapism' (from 3:10 to 4:00) seems very intelligent, and she's beautiful too. I could love a woman like that. :hug:

The rest of them: cunts. :shakehead I'm proud to be a Sex Tourist if that's the alternative. :clown:

jack :help:

• Like 2

There are three forces of Power in Laos, Political, Army and Police.

Police used to run Vang Vieng's, ahem, illegal aspects. Like drugs and unlicensed bars on and in the river. Also other services, like "yes he really did slip and hit his head on a boulder whilst completely sober". And "yes this really is just a good alcoholic drink with no added hallucinogens or poisons".

Because numbers of tourists were starting to die, some from, shall we say, 1st world countries, which tend to think about why their youngest and brightest seen to be dying in one spot in particular, international pressure started to mount.

Now withholding Aid, when a country is slaughtering their own, may or may not happen. But when the Donor's own citizens are being knocked off, the money dries up very quickly.

Even so, it took about two years for the Political branch to gain enough support from within their own ranks and those of the Armed persuasion, to get the Constabular cadre to do something about it.

Fortunately, in Laos, once they decide to do something, they tend to do it. So now the place is, as I say, quite lovely, where it was not before.

There are buses from the Vientiane central bus station every day, early like, so check the (English) timetable on the wall the day before.. 4 hrs travel time maybe? A good guest house is Busy Bee (sorry no link, but on the main drag and just ask anyone) or there are many others. Worth going to see caves etc just out of town, swim sensibly in the cool river, even hot air balloons if you like that sort of thing...

Oh, and they still show 'Friends' in the pizza places, apparently white people can't live without it...

thanks for this info coss

Ah, come on, there's good and there's bad. The good 'uns, maybe they're not exactly on the beaten path, and they're behaving well, they've got some linking string of enquiry they're following to add a little coherence to their trip. Learning about the world, contributing to the lower echelons of society a few baht at a time, nice folks. I was one, not so very many years ago - '95: Singapore to Bangkok, a month's loop of Myanmar, Saigon to Hanoi, Calcutta to Bodh Gaya to Kathmandu, through Pakistan to Kashgar and into China proper out to Tibet and then Kathmandu, Bangkok, Singapore, home. I was a little dirty, a little ragged at times, but generally polite, and I think that's the most of them. Got nothing against a backpacker - the majority are good people, I think.

It's the Brits that are most likely to screw things up. The Americans might be loud and naive, but they're not quite as belligerent and entitled as the Brits. As always, Scandies and Nordic types, and the low countries, you can't complain much about them. Good manners.

• Like 2

"but generally polite, and I think that's the most of them. " As an observer, I'll give you that.

However, I refer you to the following series of posts

http://t2.thai360.com/index.php?/topic/57931-vang-vieng-laos/

from which I got this delightful excerpt

""God no, you don't come to Vang Vieng for the culture, like temples and stuff," laughs a 19-year-old Australian called Louise, who is dancing to a Flo Rida anthem with a beer bottle in each hand at one of the many riverside bars. "You come here to get wasted." Half an hour later I spot Louise vomiting over her sparkly flip-flops before passing out. Got it."

• Like 1

And another of my 1st hand experiences with MLG:

"So we watched the All Blacks narrowly beat France in the Rugby. She was a little awed by the Haka on the big screen.

We were in a small restaurant I'll plug, because they support Laos Rugby, the Blue Banana (since closed), good food, and friendly staff, drinks not expensive, English owner, cute waitresses.

I'd got there early and found a good viewing spot, things were good, air con, drinks, good atmosphere.

Along the road at the Laos Cultural Centre, they'd set up a bigger screen, but the commentary was going to be in Thai, so I thought the Blue Banana would be better, as the commentary was in English.

When suddenly about 30 drunken, farting, barefooted, smelly, loud, backpacking French supporters, invade the place (sorry French people, these fellows are not a good advertisement for you).

They'd been along the road at the other function and got what free things they could, found it hot and invaded us.

There was no room any more, they didn't buy beer, they'd brought their own, because they could not all fit in, they opened up the double doors to the place so they could see the screen from the street. Goodbye air con.

One particularly dirty f**cker decided he could sit on the bar next to us, his unwashed feet, on the bar, within inches of our drinks. I remonstrated with him telling him that he should piss off, but he, early twenties, 6 foot 6 and a big fellow, snarled something in French at me and ignored me, joining in the rousing French chanting that overtook the place.

If I was the owner I would have kicked them out, but a brawl, would have been likely. At the final whistle, they were gone as quickly as they came.

Once again, sorry French people, these fellows were arrogant, cheap, dirty, rude and completely and utterly obnoxious. I hope the rest of your sons are not the same.

Still we beat them!"

• Like 1

Magnificent Video - thanks for that - I'm really home sick now.

A note for travellers* The bit at the end in Luang Prabang where people get up early to gift food and alms to the monks, you can see that just about anywhere in Laos, all you have to do is get up early and go into the community.

• Like 1