Are Backpackers All C*nts?

Fiery Jack

Are Backpackers All C*nts?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are Backpackers All C*nts?

• Yes.
    • No, but the majority of them are.
    • No, but a minority of them are, giving the rest a bad name.
    • No, they're all okay with me, mate.

I taught for years at Thammasat Tha Prachan, which is quite close to KSR, plus I rode the riverboat to and from work every day. I saw plenty that were obnoxious bungholes deserving extermination, but there were many exceptions. The Japanese backpacker girls were all right, and I met one Scottish gal who was very polite and friendly. (Of course, she was more the type you'd take out drinking at a pub, not back home to shag.)

• Like 1

Vang Vieng was 'cleaned up', last I was there, the tourists were wearing lifejackets in the river, all very sensible and civilised.

The time I went, before it was cleaned up, there were hordes, of spaced out Munters, roaming the streets in the midday sun, falling down, each carrying a bottle of Beer Lao in front of them like it was a trophy, fat ladettes, oblivious that their labia, true beef curtains, had escaped their string bikinis that looked so good in the shop and on thinner women, hairy unwashed young men clad in shorts leering at everyone, shouts of Oi Oi Oi in one part, Aussie Aussie Aussie in another, locals bewildered, but taking the money anyway, feet with dirt and toenails untrimmed on the restaurant tables.

A bloody mess, my Lao companions had come to see these foreigners, much as you would go to a zoo or freak show.

I had thought that the cliche that these backpackers just got stoned and watched reruns of 'Friends' in the pizza restaurants was just that, a cliche, but no, it was true, at least in the 20 or so places I walked past.

• Like 1

I've seen them walk right past the policeman at the corner of KSR, puffing away on the funny grass as they did. (KSR is right next to the Chana Songkram police station, in case they didn't notice.) Are they even aware that pot is illegal here? (At the very least, they could encounter a "shake down" by the police for money.) One morning as I was going to work, a backpacker gal climbed onto the roof of the riverboat. She was hooting and stomping right over the heads of a group of Buddhist monks, as the female bus conductor frantically screamed "GET DOWN" at her. Finally, somebody grabbed the cretin and physically dragged her off the roof. (Stoned no doubt.)

I remember the "world travellers" in the 1970s and early '80s. They were comparatively few in number and were never as bad as this. You could actually talk to them, and they'd often ask you for advice. There wasn't any "backpacker bible" for Thailand back then, and they simply went were they felt like, not where Joe Cummings or anyone else told them they simply had to go.

We used to see quite a few of the C***s up here on the River.

Think I've scared most of 'em off by now......

Bottle of water & 4 straws shite....

Remember 2 twats coming in....ordered a 20 baht bottle of water and wanted 2 Glasses....Lime & ice.....

I gave 'em a 2 word response....FARK OFF

Life is good...LOL

• Like 2