Military Parade Marks Thai King's 88Th Birthday

Flashermac

I love the beef eater hats. I bet the English don't colour theirs pink, pastel blue and red...

I remember when some of the newer Army branches were picking the colours for their dress uniforms. All the good colours had been chosen, so some were stuck with rather bizarre dress uniforms. The canary yellow uniforms especially caused giggles. :)

The Thai military drill and uniform styles are straight out of Imperial Germany, since that's where King Chulalongkorn's military advisers came from. Kaiser Wilhelm II would feel quite at home. (The well known Thai marches were composed by Rama V's Austrian bandmaster. The Thai monarch sensibly chose advisers from non-threatening countries, not Britain or France. The Thai railways were built by German civil engineers, while Danes and Swedes played a big part in organising the police.)

No military parade for my son, who turns 8 years old today. He was born in Chiangmai by C-section. His due date was December 22 but his Doctor decided to do the C-Section on December 5. I wonder if most C-Section births in Thailand in December are performed on December 5 and are there a lot more Thais with a December 5 birthday (than there would be by averages)?