Assange Again

Coss

I think it is "arbitrary detention" :)

On 4 December 2015, the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (WGAD) adopted Opinion No. 54/2015, in which it considered that Mr. Julian Assange was arbitrarily detained by the Governments of Sweden and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In that opinion, the Working Group recognized that Mr. Assange is entitled to his freedom of movement and to compensation. The application was filed with the Working Group in September 2014. The Opinion 54/2015 was sent to the Governments of Sweden and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on 22 January 2016 in accordance with the Working Group’s Methods of Work.

Given that Mr. Assange is an Australian citizen, one of the members of the Working Group who shares his nationality recused herself from participating in the deliberations. Another member of the Working Group disagreed with the position of the majority and considered that the situation of Mr. Assange is not one of detention and therefore falls outside the mandate of the Working Group.

In mid-2010, a Swedish Prosecutor commenced an investigation against Mr. Assange based on allegations of sexual misconduct. On 7 December 2010, pursuant to an international arrest warrant issued at the request of the Swedish Prosecutor, Mr. Assange was detained in Wandsworth Prison for 10 days in isolation. Thereafter, he was subjected to house arrest for 550 days. While under house arrest in the United Kingdom, Mr. Assange requested the Republic of Ecuador to grant him refugee status at its Embassy in London. The Republic of Ecuador granted asylum because of Mr. Assange’s fear that if he was extradited to Sweden, he would be further extradited to the United States where he would face serious criminal charges for the peaceful exercise of his freedoms. Since August 2012, Mr. Assange has not been able to leave the Ecuadorian Embassy and is subject to extensive surveillance by the British police.

The Working Group considered that Mr. Assange has been subjected to different forms of deprivation of liberty: initial detention in Wandsworth prison which was followed by house arrest and his confinement at the Ecuadorian Embassy. Having concluded that there was a continuous deprivation of liberty, the Working Group also found that the detention was arbitrary because he was held in isolation during the first stage of detention and because of the lack of diligence by the Swedish Prosecutor in its investigations, which resulted in the lengthy detention of Mr. Assange. The Working Group found that this detention is in violation of Articles 9 and 10 of the UDHR and Articles 7, 9(1), 9(3), 9(4), 10 and 14 of the ICCPR, and falls within category III as defined in its Methods of Work.

The Working Group therefore requested Sweden and the United Kingdom to assess the situation of Mr. Assange to ensure his safety and physical integrity, to facilitate the exercise of his right to freedom of movement in an expedient manner, and to ensure the full enjoyment of his rights guaranteed by the international norms on detention. The Working Group also considered that the detention should be brought to an end and that Mr. Assange should be afforded the right to compensation.

5 February 2016

Check the Working Group’s Opinion on Julian Assange’s case (No. 54/2015), adopted in December: http://www.ohchr.org....WGAD.2015.docx

See press release by the Working Group on Arbitrary Detention:

http://www.ohchr.org...=17013&LangID=E- See more at: http://www.ohchr.org...h.MVHKTw53.dpuf

And that's the point of my first post, it's only arbitrary detention - drum roll - in the opinion of the UN working group. I question the use of the English language by the group. He is Avoiding Detention.

On a separate mater - but exhibiting the same disregard for fact, in NZ there have been protests against the TPP agreement. What set the protestors off, was the secrecy around the negotiations during the inception of the agreement.

Prior to the release of the details of the TPP, the various groups had many reasons why the TPP was bad. The NZ Labour Party even had 'Bottom Lines' that would result in their turfing out the TPP out if they are elected next time.

Since the details have been released, virtually all the concerns about the TPP have been shown to be groundless. But the most vociferous of the protestors are still spitting tacks, even when they're confronted with the issues that they were warning about, not being issues at all.

These people held a protest in Auckland and fucked up the travel in the city of a huge amount of people at rush hour, most when asked, didn't even know what the issues supposedly were.

These are the kind of people that get on UN working groups.

To paraphrase: They'll protest the opening of an envelope.

He's not under house arrest.

He's been granted political asylum. That's not a detention.

He's not under house arrest.

He's been granted political asylum. That's not a detention.

... as long as he doesn't leave the "house". It is detention! He has no freedom of movement in the city/county/nation.

If the commies told you if you leave the house you will be arrested, would you consider that detention?

Your hate for Assange, has caused you to redefine detention.

• Like 1

And that's the point of my first post, it's only arbitrary detention - drum roll - in the opinion of the UN working group. I question the use of the English language by the group. He is Avoiding Detention.

On a separate mater - but exhibiting the same disregard for fact, in NZ there have been protests against the TPP agreement. What set the protestors off, was the secrecy around the negotiations during the inception of the agreement.

Prior to the release of the details of the TPP, the various groups had many reasons why the TPP was bad. The NZ Labour Party even had 'Bottom Lines' that would result in their turfing out the TPP out if they are elected next time.

Since the details have been released, virtually all the concerns about the TPP have been shown to be groundless. But the most vociferous of the protestors are still spitting tacks, even when they're confronted with the issues that they were warning about, not being issues at all.

These people held a protest in Auckland and fucked up the travel in the city of a huge amount of people at rush hour, most when asked, didn't even know what the issues supposedly were.

These are the kind of people that get on UN working groups.

To paraphrase: They'll protest the opening of an envelope.

Oh really!!!!!!!

http://www.hcourt.gov.au/cases/case-s389/2011

Well you could argue that the restrictions on Tobacco, that adult sane voters have to endure, is similar to Prohibition in America. But that's another day.

I am not opposed to companies in general, being able to package their products in a normal manner. If the govt wants to stop selling tobacco, do it, outlaw it.

but to my point re the TTP -

My assertion is that, if a person comes and protests outside my house, and the protest is because I have an illegal swimming pool, then when I show them I have no pool and give them documentary evidence that there is no pool, they still protest and spit tacks, should I accord them the dignity of treating them like sane normal right thinking people?

And then there are these folk, worth a read -

"SAY YOU’RE NOT one to believe the mainstream media. Maybe you think climate change is an elaborate hoax or the medical community is trying to hide the myriad dangers of vaccinations. Perhaps you are utterly convinced the government is overrun by reptilian beings.

Where on Earth can you go to get away from it all, and mingle with those who share your views? Well, Conspira-Sea, of course. It’s a seven-day cruise where fringe thinkers can discuss everything from crop circles to mind control on the open sea. Last month’s cruise featured a caravan of stars from a surprisingly vast galaxy of skeptics and conspiracy theorists, including Andrew Wakefield, known for his questionable research and advocacy against vaccines. Also aboard was Sean David Morton, who faced federal charges of lying to investors about using psychic powers to predict the stock market.

But they had an outsider among them, and not one from another planet. Harvard-educated attorney Colin McRoberts is writing a book about people who believe in conspiracy theories, and used a crowdfunding campaign to book passage on the cruise. He blogged about his adventure and told us all about it—including the bit where the IRS arrested Morton when the ship returned to port."

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/conspira-sea-cruise-know-truth/