Should I buy a VCD or DVD player and where?

JJsushi

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI that Fred' statement, "Bootlegs yes, but in the tourist areas the VCDs have all but vanished." does not agree with my experience in Patpong, Sukhumvit Farang Ghetto Zone, MBK, and Panthip Plaza. All those places have VCD's all over the place. No offense Fred.

<<burp>>

Yeah, I agree with gummigut here in that I am seeing and buying VCDs everywhere in Bangkok. I am happy to hear that when I spring for a DVD player, it will play my VCDs as well.

Did someone mention that the DVDs are dubbed in Thai? I have had a problem with some VCDs I buy. I take it home and discover the damn thing has Thai audio only, and the voices really sound like hell. Ever see the same with DVDs?

This thread has been a wealth of information for me and I really appreciate the board members taking the time to post it.

I think some DVD's have Thai soundtracks and english subtitles, but I'm not to positive.

As for buying VCD's with Thai soundtrack... That's why you need to learn how to read Thai smile.gif

In any event, somewhere on the VCD is something that will tell you what the soundtrack and subtitles are. If you see the thai letters for the sounds BRR (it looks very much like the English letters "USS") beginning a phrase circled in blue or somewhere on the VCD cover or back then you've got an english soundtrack. If I see you, I'll point it out to you on a VCD. Very easy to spot when you know what to look for.

<<burp>>

One good thing with the DVDs that I've seen (several hundred) is that you can enable or disable language dubbing and/or subtitles. So if you want to hear it in English with no subtitles, you can do it. Then if you want to hear it in English but show Thai Subtitles, you can do that as well. Then if you want to hear it in Mandarin but show English subtitiles, you can.

DVDs have a lot of great capabilities which VCDs don't.

I bought my first DVD player more than 4 years ago. That was a great decision.

You can also select the language for the soundtrack, then independently select two different sets of subtitles to be displayed, one set at the top of the screen, one at the bottom. So you can listen in English, while reading Thai at the top of the screen and reading English at the bottom of the screen. Perhaps this would help people trying to learn a new language, although the subtitles are frequently not exact translations of what the actor is saying.

Man, you guys have got me sold on this DVD idea. If these capabilities are available on a reasonably priced machine, I will buy one as soon as I can. I suppose a place like Lotus would have good basic models.

Also, I guess, then, that the dual language capability depends on where you bought the DVD. For example, if you purchased in China, you will get Mandarin, in Bangkok, you will get Thai, etc. Or do some of those bought locally come with Chinese as well?

I agree this could be useful in reading the Thai and English simultaneously.

gummigut, you are right of course. I learned to understand/speak Thai mostly through going out and speaking to Thais here. I have never studied the reading or writing though, and know I should. One of these days....

Cost was about 6000 baht (mayber 6500 baht) about a year ago. I think it was on the 3rd or 4th floor of Ploenchit Center. Sorry can't remember the name but the shoip was next to a stereo repair shop nearer to the Sukhumvit side of the Center.

Gynco is a Taiwanese maker (For Philips I was told) and I have had no significant problems playing any dvds on it. One copy dvd I had (Castway) lost the picture at one point for a few seconds but it did that on a friend's expensive model as well. I have played vcd as well with no problem. Never tried the karaoke or mp3 functions at home.The store had a nice big screen set up and the guy spent 30-45 mintues running thru all the functions (with the machine I was going to buy). Good luck.

Archived