Should I buy a VCD or DVD player and where?

JJsushi

Looking to buy a DVD or VCD player for an apartment in BKK. Which is the more prevalent format in BKK? Are the movie selections and titles for both formats the same? Are the prices comparable? Where would one go to purchase them? Any brand name that one would prefer to buy in Thailand?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pantip may be a good bet, but make sure it is compatible with what you want to play, and the country you want to play it in. Also, Emporium had some deals on stuff as well, same prices as Pantip, and in some cases cheaper! Also, some years back, there was an electronic mart of sorts near the docks, (anyone else remember it?) I'll see if I can get a better direction for you. Buyer beware here though!!

The Ploenchit Center onSukhumvit next to the Marriott has half dozen or more electronic dealers who sell very high-end stuff but also some lower end stuff. This includes speakers, dvds, tuners,etc. I had my tuner repaired there cheaply in about an hour.

ALso found a cheaper dvd player (Gynco) which I have been happy with. You check out places like the Emporium and Central cuz they have good sales sometimes on brand equipment.

Ploenchit Center also has a good food court on the top floor and a bowling alley on 4th (?) floor. In the basement there are several interesting small restaurants as well.

I'd go with DVD because of the flexibility of being able to play both DVDs and VCDs.

The copy DVD disks you get here are NTSC zone 1, for the most part. Legitimate ones are Zone 3, and I assume PAL.

I've gotten electronic goods at Central Chitlom. Pretty good selection with reasonable prices. I assume you could get stuff somewhat cheaper in Chinatown, but I haven't bouht anything there.

"I'd go with DVD because of the flexibility of being able to play both DVDs and VCDs..."

Also, DVDs have vastly superior picture and sound quality, multiple languages/soundtracks, multiple subtitles, and many special features (but you knew all that).

VCDs were the norm in LOS a few months ago, with only a smattering of DVDs available, but that has completely reversed in recent weeks. VCDs will soon be obsolete.

MBK, Chinatown, and similar you must negotiate.

Other places it doesn't hurt to try. You'd be surprised.

(I also started doing this in the Sates when I visit, and you'd be surprised how often the salespeople will give you a break. Sometimes not cash, but in merchandise.)

Most of the movie selections and titles on the mass market at the moment are bootleg and predominantly on VCD at cheaper prices.

I myself have never bought a DVD disc in Thailand and I would guess the vast majority of Thais haven't either. Bootleg DVD's are not much better than VCD's in qulaity and until this market disappears, which I don't see happening soon, VCD's will be around for some time.

Get a machine that plays both and preferably one with multiple drives to watch the VCD movies that usually come on two discs.

Cheers,

Archived