Mozilla browser

khunsanuk

Hi,

Downloaded the Mozilla browser a few days ago (http://www.mozilla.org) and I must say that I am really impressed.

It has some nice features including searching directly from the status bar, opening windows in different tabs, as well as some cool safety features (disallowing specific Javascript commands for instance).

Well worth a look.

Sanuk!

mozilla search?

What search engine do you get?

Search directly from IE & you get MSN search which is nothing but a list of paid adverisers... to be on the MSN search engine you must pay $.15 per click minimum..

this is my personal main gripe with MS, the IE search goes to the MSN which is not a legit search..

MSN is not a search engine but an advertising list.. pay more & you're at the top..handled through a dummy biz called 'looksmart'

the ones at the very top pay more than $1. per click.. on my bizes 'main keyword search page' of MSN the clicks cost over $2.50 each!

Insanity!

Long live Google!

90% of the hits to my site are IE..

Listing the top 20 browsers by the number of requests for pages, sorted by the number of requests for pages.

last week:

no.: reqs: pages: browser

---: -----: -----: -------

1: 67221: 13075: MSIE

: 37097: 7510: MSIE/5

: 28611: 5235: MSIE/6

: 1446: 272: MSIE/4

: 13: 4: MSIE/3

2: 4921: 967: Netscape

: 4276: 824: Netscape/4

: 619: 132: Netscape/6

: 9: 8: Netscape/3

: 1: 1: Netscape/8

: 1: 1: Netscape/1

: 15: 1: Netscape/2

3: 1866: 310: Netscape (compatible)

4: 102: 102: DSurf15a

: 102: 102: DSurf15a/31

5: 97: 97: Mercator-2.0

6: 213: 96: Netscape

: 145: 35: Mozilla/1

: 14: 7: Mozilla/0

7: 100: 84: ia_archiver

8: 492: 70: Opera

: 453: 63: Opera/6

: 39: 7: Opera/5

&

google is 80% legit, MSN is 0.00% legit.

+ MS is a major thorn in my butt!

I do not care for Netscape 6.2.. is Mozilla way different from Netscape?

Breakdown of hits to my site by OS:

Listing operating systems, sorted by the number of requests for pages.

no.: reqs: pages: OS

---: -----: -----: --

1: 69923: 13431: Windows

: 28678: 5743: Windows 98

: 13008: 2239: Windows 2000

: 8952: 1871: Windows ME

: 10043: 1801: Windows XP

: 5099: 959: Windows NT

: 3444: 622: Windows 95

: 658: 173: Unknown Windows

: 41: 23: Windows 32-bit

2: 2465: 741: OS unknown

3: 2528: 645: Macintosh

: 2526: 643: Macintosh PowerPC

: 2: 2: Macintosh 68k

4: 144: 113: Known robots

5: 353: 91: Unix

: 169: 31: Linux

: 30: 30: BSD

: 122: 26: SunOS

: 17: 3: IRIX

: 15: 1: HP-UX

6: 77: 21: WebTV

7: 14: 1: RISC OS

just noting that IE & MS Win totally dominate.

IE & Netscape/Mozilla show pages differently + MS Frontpage DHTML doesn't work with the competition.

I hope a viable alternative to IE is developed & the DOJ or EU comes down hard on the MS OS / Browser issues.

thanks for the tip.

I think most of the search opions listed are associated with looksmart's pay per click advertising.

from the looksmart page:

>>> List with LookSmart and your links can be integrated into the directory search results on leading portals, such as MSN, AltaVista, CNN.com, InfoSpace, Prodigy, and hundreds more.

LookSmart Network of partners reaches 77% of Internet users

http://looklistings.looksmart.com/

<<<<

Terrible situition if 77% (IE is 90% to my site, this is perhaps billions of paid clicks per day ) of the 'surfers' use looksamrt. If IE searches go to the paid listings & not a true search for information this is a huge cash influx for MS.

could not copy the browser options from the IE 5.5 options but Note no google.

AOL 'kinda' uses google

May I suggest KS that you try-out some of the third-party browsers that use the IE engine but add their own features, like multi-tabs etc etc. Some of these browsers, like NetCaptor, MyIE, are quite time saving and offer features that come in very handy, like groups which can be made to open automatically, search bars etc.

I really have to say that Netscape/Mozilla browsers, to me anyway, are lumpy, incompatable, slow, memory hogs - MS do some things very well, well it can't all be bad, and their browser is simply very stable if not lacking a few features - hence the aftermarket browsers.

Oh, and by the way, the search-site locations can be easily changed with a simple utility called Tweak UI - all software needs to be set-up and tweaked to individual needs as the developer never knows what environment or use it will be put to so the default settings are just a middle-ground guess and often can be quite useless to many users.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Opera as a viable alternative to IE.

I use it when I want to fly around the net and don't want to be caught up by a clunky IE or NS. You will be surprised how delightful your surfing and downloading of large files experience will be with Opera. Plus you have the ability to open multiple tabs and it is not at all memory intensive. Forget using it for sites designed specifically for IE.

As far as Mozilla is concerned I really can't tell the difference between it and NS from an end users perspective.

Archived