Mozilla browser

khunsanuk

I really have to say that Netscape/Mozilla browsers, to me anyway, are...incompatable

Mozilla (inclusive of Netscape and browsers that use gecko) are based on independent standards, not ones that AOL/Time Warner/Netscape created themselves. So as far as compatability it is really the responsibility of the web designer. They have to decide if they want to be standards compatable or IE compatable or both. If the websmith decides that being IE compatable is enough, and the pages look bad in Netscape, is it really Netscapes fault?

"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network."

-Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996

(pulled from www.anybrowser.org)

some style guides:

http://www.gerbilbox.com/newzilla/webdesign/index.php

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign.html

I haven't used Moz for a while I mostly use Konqueror and Opera,and IE of course, but having started on Mosaic I do have a learned affinity towards Mozilla. The current release of Mozilla is loads more stable and does not seem to be so leaky. So if you have never used Mozilla or used it in the past its worth a try. If your minds made up I don't know why you have read this far.

As far as Mozilla is concerned I really can't tell the difference between it and NS from an end users perspective.

Your right the look and feel is pretty much the same, but they are different.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/08/18/magazine/moz_aint_netscape.html

I use Opera a lot also, I just hope they can find another way to make money besides banner ads.

Hi,

" really have to say that Netscape/Mozilla browsers, to me anyway, are lumpy, incompatable, slow, memory hogs - MS do some things very well, well it can't all be bad, and their browser is simply very stable if not lacking a few features - hence the aftermarket browsers."

I have had IE crash on me fairly often, has not happened with Mozilla so far (of course I have only been using it for 4 days smile.gif ). Furthermore, I get the feeling that Mozilla is faster than IE as well.

Sanuk!

Oh. probably just one of these personal preference things and that, but having tried most of the current up-to-date browsers, I still swear that pages appear on the screen "clearer" and "with better contrast/colour depth" when using IE !

Yes, I have used different monitors, different pc's etc and IE always displays a page better for my tastes - and my experiences are the opposite with browser crashings - if I use anything else for Internet Banking for example then a lock-up is on the horizon - IE just has never failed me, but it seems especially important to a Windows system to keep up to the minute with patches and updates. Also, XP helps greatly in superior system stability from the attrocious ME !

• 3 weeks later...

Sites bow to Microsoft's browser king

Paul Festa

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

July 8, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

When he co-founded Netscape Communications in 1994, Jim Clark introduced a Web browser that promised computer users a way around the Microsoft juggernaut.

Now online photo print shop Shutterfly, another Clark-founded venture, has a succinct warning for visitors who come to the site using the latest versions of Netscape: Beware. Versions 6 and higher of the browser are "unsupported," meaning people who use them cannot take advantage of several site features and may run into glitches not found with Microsoft's Internet Explorer, according to a browser error message being published on the site as of last Wednesday.

Shutterfly's browser preference page is more than ironic; it reflects an ongoing bias among some Web sites to write and test their pages for the browser most people use--Internet Explorer. The trend lives on despite the support Web standards receive from several new browsers, including Netscape's latest, its open-source cousin Mozilla and others such as Opera and iCab.....

full story>>>

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-941926.html

From a developer's viewpoint, Microsoft have just made it so much easier to create a better site with better features than Netscape do, ever since the advent of DHTML in IE4. (It's a feature that allows a developer to control almost every aspect of a web page, so you can almost make it appear like a normal program.)

When Netscape eventually released a browser with their own version of it, it turned out to be lumpy, inadequate and incompatible with Microsoft's.

There are other examples - other features - that mean it's so much easier to design a better, modern site for IE that you just get fed up with the bother of designing for these other less-featured browsers.

Archived