Latest Info on Thai ISP's ... Please %^)

CosmicSurfer

Being as there doesn't seem to be any recent updates to the Thai ISP situation... either for Dial-up or Cable/DSL Broadband... I'm sure all of us more recently arrived Expats would appreciate any help that can be provided towards getting the fastest, cheapest and most reliable connection.

Please tell all... Dial-Up or Broadband... Cable or DSL...

What should I do? Who should I contact? Who should we stay away from?

Mucho Khups...

CS

Your options will depend to some degree based on if your phone line is TA or TOT (telecom asia or telephone authority of thailand). I have been using the dialup packages you buy at stores that give you a certain amount of hours. I like INET's 165 hours for 800 baht the most as it lasts for months and is the cheapest I have found for TA. LoxInfo seems equivalent quality, but pricier. I have had bad experiences with KSC in every regard.

I heard some people grumbling that cable modems used to be fast, but now traffic goes through a proxy server and they aren't so fast anymore.

I want to go DSL, but for my situation (price is based on connect time) it is 3000baht/month for 128/256mbps. If they improve either side of that equation, I might pull the trigger.

I agree with ER KSC is best avoided. Don?t use myself but have friends who curse it regularly.

Probably one of the best deals is the unlimited access for about Baht 300 per month, if you have the right sort of phone and can connect by dialing 1222. Unfortunately I don?t have.

I use Inet-Easy (www.inet.co.th) 155 hours for Baht 750 which is about Baht 4.8 an hour. I see no difference in connection or download speeds or cut offs or unable to connect etc. when using Inet or Loxinfo (both in my experience are very reliable and trouble free) but Loxinfo is more than twice the cost. So I can recommend Inet-Easy.

I had LOXINFO for five years, and, except for a few problems, it was fairly reliable. However, it is expensive.

So, I switched to Samart. I got a great deal on cost. Unlimited (they cut you off after five hours though) for 256 baht per month, if you pay one year in advance.

I went for this, and, I have probably sent in 3 months 100 emails to their helpdesk complaining about the shitty service. Forget about calling them as that is hopeless. Constant busy signals, quick disconnects, dead connections, email problems, you name it. I cannot recommend Samart, but I am stuck with it for one year as they have a no refund policy.

So, what did I do to solve the Samart Problem? I went to Villa Market and bought 60 hours of LOXINFO for 680 baht. I connect to LOXINFO when I can't get through to Samart. I probably should have stuck with LOXINFO.

If you have a TOT line (I am not sure about other lines), you can just dial 1222 using the generic password and logon and you will be connected. Cost is 3B. My line usually dies after half hour or so, though a few hours is possible.

I assume the packages they sell at the malls with 1222 numbers whereby you pay for the package as well enables you to stay connected for longer periods, though I haven't tried them myself as the free service with a 3B dial up charge, meets my needs.

Cheers,

Anet can be ok too, although on some evenings their lines are busy and you have to dial 2-5 times before you get a modem.

Can be bought as cheap as 640 Baht for 200 hours.

Loxinfo never let me down yet, it is worth to notice that they have their own uplinks and is not affected when the infamous uplink to Korea is down.

Best regards,

Danish30

ANET came with 100 hours free Internet access with the computer. I was thinking to subscribe with them but it is 1000Bht per month, unlimited.

My gf would never need more than 100 hours per month so I might take what you said in your mail - that would cost 300 Bhts per month. Have to find out if that is the same phone number (and level of service) as regular subscriptions.

So far ANET has been reliable, no busy signals or diconnections. They have local call number in all provinces and web mail.

Archived