When does the Buddhist year go from 2544 to 2545

Which month does the Buddhist year actually change? I'm guessing it's Songkran (April), but does this mean that all official dates that use this calendar change in April? By that I mean there isn't anything strange like Jan. 1st (Pee Mai) the Thai calendar changes from 2544 to 2545?

Thanks

Brother Daeng,

It was changed during King Rama 8 starting in 1941. That means in 1940 we had only 8 Gregorian months. This change was decided by a committee created by PM Piboonsongkram and chaired by Luang Vijitvatakarn. Here are the reasons:

1. This change wouldn't oppose to the day counting and merit making of Budhists

2. The change would stop Brahman ideology dominate(?) Budhism.

3. The change would be in line with other countries

4. The change would bring forth culture, the ways of the world, and custom.

My question mark in point number 2 means I'm not sure of my translation. But I hope you get the idea.

Point number 4 is the way the government at the time was trying to do. They was trying to impose what they thought the 'great nation' should have/be. So, they changed the new year to the one the Western nations was using.

Daeng, maybe you have mistaken the changing from the first day of the waning moon of the first lunar month (ÇѹáÃà ñ ¤èÓà´×ùÃéÒ which is in January) as the new year to the first day of the new moon of the fifth lunar month (Çѹ¢Öé¹ ñ ¤èÓà´×ù õ ) which is in April. The change was to be in line with the Brahman ideology. That happened in the reign of King Rama 5.

Actually we have Ã.È. which is abbri for Ratanakosin Sok, meaning the Ratanakosin Year - the number of year the House of Chari rules the country. This year is Ã.È. 220 and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration just celebrated the event a couple of month ago.

Sorry I'm boring you with all this. Just have the mood for it.

tongue.gif

GTG

Thanks for the replies! Very interesting! After I posted this I thought maybe I should not have put this question in the language section because it is more of a culture question.

I find these kinds of things very interesting. I have many other such questions but I think people would find them a bit boring posted on the other forums. Maybe I'm wrong! But since there is no "culture" forum, my thinking is language and culture are closely related so until I'm told otherwise I'll post "culture" questions here.

Thanks again

"Actually we have Ã.È. which is abbri for Ratanakosin Sok, meaning the Ratanakosin Year - the number of year the House of Chari rules the country. This year is Ã.È. 220 and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration just celebrated the event a couple of month ago. "

Interestingly, while the Royal Family remains the House of Chakri, it is seemingly no longer properly called the Chakri Dynasty. It seems from what I can find it was changed to the Ramadhibadi or Ramathibodi Dynasty around 1916. Information is sketchy, more as I learn of it.

DoxyBlue,

Well..never heard of the ?Ramathibodi Dynasty? at all ! Where did you get that info from?

We still call ÃҪǧ¤ì¨Ñ¡ÃÕ or Chakri Dynasty at least in Thai any ways. We have a public holiday on 6 th of April called ?Chakri Day? - the coronation day of King Rama I, hence the starting period of the House of Chakri.

GTG

One of my interests is phalerisitics -- the study of honours, decorations and medals. I don't go for the military stuff, more for royal honours. I found the Ramathibodi info in the course of some research on the Royal Honours of Thailand.

If anybody else has been interested on what all that fruit salad on Thaksin's uniform is, there's a fair number of links available. A great place to start is http://www.dreamwater.net/regiment/Precedence.htm

And proving there's always a local angle, the late Malaysian ruler was, I believe, either a Knight of the Most Illustrious Order of the Royal House of Chakri or a Member of the Most Auspicious Order of the Rajamitrabhorn.

DoxyBlue,

>And proving there's always a local angle, the late Malaysian ruler was, I believe, either a Knight of the Most Illustrious Order of the Royal House of Chakri or a Member of the Most Auspicious Order of the Rajamitrabhorn.

I visited the site briefly and I still don?t understand how you came up with the conclusion that the House of Charkri has become the House of Ramathibidi. Because the first decoration named Ramathibidi was issued in 1916??

GTG

Archived