Pattaya Paradise Lost - Things Fall Apart

zanemay

"Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you got

'Til it's gone?

They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot..."

After three and half months in Thailand, I have a big worry. What follows is a bit of a rant. As such, I cannot say that every statement is factually true, probably some are not. I have perspective and I have a good heart, but you will not find them here. I ramble, the logic is thin in places, but the gist is far too true...

I am 56 years old and only discovered Thailand a year and a half ago. I am so glad I came when I did because I see its wonderful uniqueness rapidly being sucked into the black hole of the world mono-culture. Not just the culture of MacDonald's and low-fat latte, but the culture of PC - the tyranny of Political Correctness. During my short time it has become a lot less free, open and fun.

In just a year Tony's Disco ("Entertainment Complex" as he arrogantly calls it) in Pattaya has gone so far downhill it has almost fallen off the map. When I first came here I could buy a beer for the grand price of 110 baht and have some fun. The most fun was the amateur dance/beauty contest every night in which about 10 girls (or whatever!) would get on stage and gyrate. The girl who got the most applause would get a couple of thousand baht. In the spirit of high sanuk, one or two of the girls would work the audience with topless dancing and a little raunchy behavior. Ahh, they did just about everything up there and it was grand! The Thai girls in the audience were more crazy for the show than were the farang men. After the show, the band would come back and play until 4:00 AM.

Well those WERE the days cause they ain't no more. Last week I ordered a Heineken at Tony's and was presented with a bill in magnificent amount of 170 baht !!!!! That is $4 !!!! for a beer in Thailand. This no doubt supports Tony's expansion of a second venue in Bangkok and his incredible television advertising budget. A lot of the postage-stamp sized dance floor has also been co-opted by platforms apparently for performers to stand amidst the throng. The real intent of course is to have less dancing so as to keep folks within reach of their incredibly-priced drinks. No titty show, can't dance and staggering prices. Not to mention the onslaught of in-house hawkers pushing roses, photos, cigarettes, snacks, tequila and souvenir crap. "The Only All-American Disco in Thailand," says Tony. Ah well, my boy, thanks to you I, am a little less proud to be an American.

As at Tony's, all the titty shows in Pattaya have been swept away by the Ministry of the Interior's Social Order campaign. "Showing" they call it and they close Go-Go's left and right and we see Thailand drifting into the morass of feminist Political Correctness that most of us come here to get away from. All over the city now the girls wear bra's in the Go-Go's and, at least for me, the appeal has been sucked out. Does anyone go in these places anymore? I don't know.

(Added at a later date: I have found a couple of Go-Go's where the girls go topless and even a girlie sex show of sorts in Pattaya. But if there is a whiff of the police, all the girls dress and the customers file out.)

All the bar owners have been intimidated and made to think that they are doing something wrong. That is the insidious nature of PC. I actually heard the owner of a popular bar on Soi Pattayaland 2 tell a customer who was KISSING one of the girls to lighten up. He was afraid that there might be an undercover spy about who might interpret kissing and hugging as some sort of a public sex act. I know this fellow, too, and he is not the type to be easily intimidated.

The goals and policies of the morality campaign are murky and confusing as are most political initiatives here, especially the Social Order campaign. There is a stated intent to save kids from drugs, but in practice the logic is totally obtuse. There is the 2:00 AM closing. Okay. There is a 10:00 PM curfew on those under 18. There is a no minor's in disco's rule. Last week it was decided that kids cannot enter photo booths in shopping malls at night. Internet shops are off limits after certain hours. Now there is talk about banning the use of cell phones by youngsters because a Japanese study hinted at a cancer link.

First they want to save kids from drugs, then they want to save everyone from everything? And My God!! The Thai's don't resent this totalitarianism as most national populations would.

Part of the murk of such social policies is that the politicians never take a hard look at the big problems. They never address the problems of excessive drinking, drunk driving, cigarette smoking and the pathetic system of public education. The problems the "Morality Campaign" is addressing would certainly be reduced by an educational system that included all children and encouraged critical thinking. In Thai schools the kids just chant maxims and platitudes. "Do what your mother, father, boss, political leader say." Critical thinking is stifled.

The facts that prostitution and "mia noi's" (mistresses) are indispensable elements of Thai culture are never mentioned. Only farangs and the Thai women who go with them need moral discipline. The enterprising activities of gay Boyz and katoey's is not an area of concern.

Amidst these apparently absurd policies there is a Prime Minister who combines being the richest business man in Thailand with being a raving paranoid. Lately he thought he had uncovered a widespread political attack in the form of BKK taxi drivers being organized by his enemies. He actually thought the drivers were being trained and paid to criticize him to their passengers. As if such a paltry thing could impact a Prime Minister's political standing! He launched an investigation. His government also stands ready quickly to shut down any media outlet that criticizes him or eject any foreigner for the same reason. To the outside world the credibility of such governance is ZERO.

In Pattaya there is a xenophobic element to enforcement of the social order campaign, wherein transgressions by farang are considered especially onerous. In last week's Pattaya Mail newspaper, there was an article about cracking down on bars with vulgar names. "Hot Pussy," "Fuck You," and "Fuck You 2" were a few of the bars mentioned. This article speaks volumes about the current situation:

1) The complaint about the bar names was initiated by "the manager of the Royal Cliff Beach Resort on behalf of the private sector." (Wait! Aren't beer bars part of the "private sector?" I guess not. Or are there two private sectors!?) In other words, the big corporate and multinational resort operators who want to bring in busloads of Asian tourists want to clean up Pattaya. Most of bars mentioned were located where their signs could be seen from the tour buses passing by on Second Road. At any rate, this little bit of rough spice is to be taken away and Pattaya is to become more like every other resort destination - another piece of the boring "world mono-culture." There is no appreciation for the uniqueness of Pattaya as it has been. They will all be happier when the foreign trade is fat tourists staring dully out of bus windows while being shuffled from big hotel, to big restaurant to big shopping mall. And to those insipid "attractions" such as Mini-Siam, the Elephant, Tiger, Snake, Alligator and Butterfly parks. What absolute crap! All of this channels tourist money to big business. The hell with mom and pop.

2) The enforcement arm reaches out in a strange way. They don't just ask that these well-established bars change their names. The bureaucrats, caught in the embarrassing position of not objecting to the names in the first place, lash out against the licenses of the owners. An investigation has been initiated to see if these places are operating in compliance with what they are licensed to do - in other words, the bureaucracy reacts by looking for a way to pull business licenses. The sledge hammer approach. Not only that, ALL beer bar licenses are to be investigated. And recently Chonburi Province containing Pattaya established a reward system that would give 5,000 baht to any citizen making a report that would lead to the eventual closure of an entertainment establishment.

3) And worse, so much worse, "Special attention will be given to those places owned by FOREIGNERS or owners whose spouses are foreigners, and are engaged in INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR." I don't know what troubles me most about that sentence! This is the first time I have seen the American PC expression "inappropriate behavior" used in Thailand. PC has arrived in my refuge!

4) This statement shows that Thai bureaucrats are not the least bit embarrassed by their xenophobic hatred of foreigners and apply it as unfairly and express it as publicly as they like. In this case all foreigner owners are to be especially investigated because a few bars have vulgar names!? To my knowledge, most of the bars with vulgar signs are owned by Thai's. Their vulgar taste is obvious everywhere anyway, from the sale of Bin Laden T-shirts to a grotesque oil painting of the World Trade Center in flames.

5) And an investigation looking for "inappropriate behavior" in Pattaya!! Really!!? What could possibly constitute inappropriate behavior!!? Not much in the Pattaya I knew and loved. But in the new Pattaya, "inappropriate behavior" will be a farang doing anything that appears distasteful to whichever bureaucrat happens to be looking at the time. I fear that soon it will be inappropriate to enter into a short term agreement with a lady at a bar or to chat up a girl on Beach Road!

The bottom line is that the powers that be, under pressure from the PC movement and multinational resort corporations (big business), seek to make Pattaya another bland destination. Aside from the beaches in the South, a few ancient temple sites and the main destinations in BKK, Thailand has little to offer a sophisticated tourist. Thai's are extremely naive about what constitutes an international tourist attraction. Only people who have never traveled could think that a Thai-style tiger zoo was anything short of an abomination or that the National Parks are less than pathetic. Thai's aren't aware of the beauties of Paris, the English countryside, the American and Canadian wilderness or the wonders of European museums. There is nothing here to compare with these.

But what is truly wonderful and unique in LOS is the open, fun-loving, goodhearted, basically honest nature of the people. A culture that produces young ladies with wonderful attitudes towards entertainment and providing a good service at a fair price. There was an appreciation of freedom and a tolerance of foreigners which led to a situation in which a unique fairyland like Pattaya could develop. An environment in which a great deal of money is passed between enthusiastically consenting adults and then directed to support poor children and families throughout the country. But This will not step up politically to preserve their freedom, especially in a morally clouded area. And farangs have no voice here. The writing is on the wall. The sickening power of politically correct behavior imported from the West, along with the clout of big business, will bulldoze our little bit of heaven. Like I said, I am glad I found it before it was too late.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zane,

Sorry to hear your tale of woe. I enjoyed my time in Pattaya last Feb, but even a complete newbie like myself could see that things are changing from the 'paradise' that I had read about. Pattaya is definitely trying to target itself as a 'family holiday destination', and not a playground for the single male traveller. Exactly what the girls are supposed to do in this new order is anyone's guess ...

I was given a good flaming the last time I dared to suggest that Pattaya would be a lt less atttractive minus its nightlife, so I wont go there again. The only thing I can suggest is that you purchase a firearm and make tracks for Cebu. By all accounts, there isnt too much that is PC down there : the downside being that the sanctity of human life isnt what it ought to be in a supposedly Christian country frown.gif

Good luck.

I hope you feel better after getting that off chest zanemay.

Although I am well aware of the clampdown, I try to put it to the back of my mind. I keep telling myself its just a phase and things will return to normal. Even back in 1998 when I first visited Thailand, the police would impose curfews around kosarn road. As I don't particulary like Kosarn, I never go there and so am not aware of the current situation in backpacker areas.

does it ever occur to you that your little paradise might be a huge embarrassment to thailand's people?

thailand was not created so that western males can live their phantasies.

also, i would edit out some of the sarcasm mentioning the king, that could earn you a very long prison sentence, as far as i know the mandatory sentence for lese majeste is 11 years, no royal pardon granted.

I am not flaming you Zane I am just sort of ranting here myself so don't take it personal.

Personally, I always thought of Pattaya (the part that caters to the nightlife) as a semi-cesspool. A place for the hardcore and the depraved. I a not referring to the young ladies of course, but I am referring to the hordes of farangs that flock there like it is some sort of Mecca. I avoid Pattaya for that very reason, if I want to be surrounded by farangs then I should stay in the US or party in Mikinos, Ibizia, etc.

I always thought it was ironic whenever I read the Pattaya Mail and websites devoted to Pattaya that the very foreigners who love Pattaya so much for it's "Thai" uniqueness are the most vocal critics of Thai policies that control that uniqueness. The continuous whining references to laws, rights, liberties, facilities and infrastructure that they experience in their native countries and how LOS lacks them. I think some need to remember that they are guests in LOS. You can easily leave the place if you don't like it.

I love hearing the prolific arguments concerning the hypocrisy of Thai pay for play sex, "Thai men are allowed to do such and such why can't we? Think about it, they make the rules.

I also think that many need to change their mindset of Thailand as a sex destination and think of it as simply a destination, they would probably enjoy it more.

BTW-in case you guys didn't know Vegas has tons of willing ladies who want to party and will have sex with you for a price.

Simply put, Thais make the laws. Thais are also the enforcers of the law. Thais are the ones who allow some laws to be bent. For example, prostitution is illegal but it is allowed to exist openly in a certain manner where it concerns the farang scene.

Archived