Bank Account

Fidel

Hello Fidel,

I know that You can open an account, regardless of visa, at Bank of Asia and Bangkok Bank. I believe Thai Farmers Bank has the same policy, but I have no personal experience.

Go to the bank. Bring your passport. Done.

Cheers,

Straycat

Hi Fidel

Sorry for hijackig your post or at least changing direction but,

How did you manage to get a non imm visa b without a work permit.

I have been told catagoricaly by the consulate in UK that you cannot have the non imm visa b without firm offer of employment and therefore a wotk permit.

P.S. Are you British?

Greg,

The order is like this :

a. Firm offer of employment or invitation letter (now plus a bunch of official documents from the company).

b. Non Immigrant B Visa (from an overseas Embassy or Consulate).

c. Apply for Work Permit in Thailand.

Banks,

Most will open a savings account with only your passport, but you get a non-resident interest rate. Normally you do not get statements sent to you, and check the minimum balance required each month without charges being deducted from your account - which will basically close the account once the balance gets to zero.

SoTH,

On all ATM's machines I've come across in LOS you get the option of Thai or English, even if you feed the machine your Thai card. It's exactly like using an ATM card from abroad! -- It must be quite annoying for the Thais...

Remember though, if you're on a tourist visa in LOS you can only get VISA Electron cards or pure ATM cards (as, for example, the Bangkok Banks "Bualuang" card.) However, Electron works in the majority of stores nowadays so that option really isn't that bad...

Cheers,

Straycat

Archived