US Dollar Falling fast - what to do?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you are American I would leave it in US$

you understand the US system and your money is goverment guarenteed in the bank.....

Other countries - who knows ?

the dollar goes up and down all the time but never will dive like Brazil or Argentina where they take a few zeros off the end every few years.....

And for you guys that think it will dive that way, the world will be in a big hurt since the USA is the largest buyer of goods......

In my view the weak dollar is caused by:

1) Uncertainty caused by the business scandals in the States. If investors can't see thru all the smoke and mirrors, they pull their money out of US investments and take it elsewhere (like LOS, where the SET index has done quite well this year). Capital flight=weaker dollar. When the dust settles on the whole mess, investors will come back to US investments (especially if, as a result of reforms after the scandals, the financial system is even more transparent that it was before).

2) Uncertainty about how strong the US recovery will be. Once it becomes clear that the recovery is for real, interest rates will start rising, making investments in US securities more attractive, so capital will flow back to the dollar.

As an aside, consider an Iraq invasion scenario. If Dubya invades, the price of oil will likely skyrocket. And since oil can only be purchased using USD (e.g. Japan must convert yen to dollars to buy oil), this will increase demand for dollars, thus increasing its value.

So, IMO, the dollar will rebound sometime later this year (or early next year). Stay with greenbacks.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you do this time?

As for the kind persons question, one only has to lower his standards and expectations of comfort. When you are asleep it does not matter anyway where you are sleeping.

Problem for guys like me is, I am already a street girl type and cannot imagine going "lower" and doing it on the beach in Pattaya.

Finding a charming girl in Pattaya to stay with you on a monthly basis in an apartment costing say 8000baht a month is very easy IMHO.

Apartment: 8000baht

Girl: 4000baht

call it 12000baht a month in fixed expenses and even with an exchange of say 35/1usd only apx. $350.. Add in food and beverage and whatever else, and on $1000.usd a month a person could be very very happy, and more important, living much much better than he could on $1000. a month in the USA.

take care today,

Nok the Kook

The exchange matters are interesting to me. Thailand is on the Baht and does not seem to adjust the "important" prices like pay bars and "how much you give" me's....other places try and take advantage of the naive tourist and relate the dollar exchange with a whin and wimper etc. to charge more. This decline in the dollar will be something to watch and listen about, especially in Cambodia and the Philippines.

Only if one has been in the gutters and trolled around some of the most disgusting places on earth (i.e. brothels in Cambodia) can he appreciate your sense of humor and sarcaism, because then he/she knows from where you come up with it...

good luck whatever you decide

Nok the Kook

Archived