Bali or Thailand?

cpnhowdy

I did a search on the forums for Bali but didnt come up with anything.

How is Bali compared to Thailand? I have been to Thailand quite a few times but never made it to Bali. Im wondering if Bali is just a big resort and tourist trap.

Bali doesn't have the same 'facilities' as Thailand, so it all depends on what you're looking to do.

It IS a bit of a tourist trap, but has nice scenary (outside of the cities), some good golf spots, OK beaches. Snorkeling/diving not great. Artwork, carvings, etc.

Nightlife? Lots of bars in Kuta. You can probably get pretty drunk for not too much money. There are places that stay open 'till morning.

Use the search feature, you'll find alot of references to Bali. Comparing the two depends on

our criteria. At the moment Bali is moving into high season, but it was still pretty dead when I was there two weeks ago. Search this forum for Bali, you will find a lot of information.

Bali??

http://board.nanaplaza.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=42283&Search=true&Forum=UBB10&Words=bali&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=42283

Sanuk in Bali ?

http://board.nanaplaza.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=41636&Search=true&Forum=UBB10&Words=bali&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=41636

When you search be sure that the selection to the left of the search field and button has been switch to show posts from all time, and not from the past month.

artiew,

Political threads are a no-no when they are used as an oppurtunity for

people do display prejudice or spout opinions with little interest in listining to alternate views. In this sense the thread is not so much a discussion as it is a boxing match. That is not to say that I am accusing you of that, just pointing out a reasonable caution.

If one were to limit their travels based upon the mistakes made by governments who are in power in the host country one would soon run out of places to visit. We would soon have to eliminate three large countries for their "incursions" into Vietnam. Vietnam for its expansion into the Mekong delta, countless settler colonies for their past and continuing ppression of indigenous peoples, a state that borders Thailand for its not so distant fratricidal regime, and on and on ad nauseum.

I am of the opinion that people for the most live in spite of the regime that hovers over them regardless it be a ray of light or a dark cloud. While Indonesian economist Arif Budiman was in self exile in Australia he proposed a boycott of Bali because Bali was the eastern command for the Indonesian army. Not to exclude that as part of the militaries dwi fungsi, dual role, it also held substantial commercial investments in Bali. Arif is now part of the government that moves forward and fall down a lot.

Again IMHO people undertake travels to see other peoples or witness other natural phenomena. It is the former that has made Bali so popular, regardless of who controls the archepelego that we call Indonesia. Indonesia is a young country with an immense task before it. Where was the USA in 1826? In spite of Indonesia celebrated failures, Aceh and East Timor among them, they have had some successes. Indonesia pulled off a remarkable democratic election two years ago, the first in decades. Habibie also made the decision to release Timor less than two weeks after Soeharto fell, against the wishes of the military.

AG

If you can pay $60+ for a beach front hotel, you can stay in a beautiful place.

If you want women, I hope you're blind. You won't find anything under 35 years old, shopworn, bug eyed, buck toothed, fat assed, or under $50 for a short time. I could'a gagged.

Having been coming to Indonesia for eleven years, having lived here for five years and just having returned from Bali two weeks ago I think I am qualified to say that the above poster is misinformed, even if it was his experience.

ST 150,000 - 250,000IDR (you may have to bargain)

LT 200,000 - 300,000IDR

I stayed in the Natur Hotel in Sanur beachfront for 350,000IDR

As for the physical appearance for the women it sounds like fly went shopping with the assistance of a taxi driver.

I am not a big fan of Bali, which offer much less than other parts of Indonesia, but have another point of view about the quality of the girls there (unless you only speak of the hardcore/drugged whores of Sanur/Kuta, only good for the worsts whoremongers).....

Mid June to end of August, as Adik mentioned, are the best monthes in high season when many indonesians freelancers (mostly Jakartanese) go for some vacation or for long week-ends in Bali.

During those monthes they can be found in Legian where the girls quality is highly better than in Kuta/Sanur and where the freelance scene is very active, mostly in live music cafés with ethnic/groovy atmosphere.

I met in Bali many chicks (and some are really beautiful) i know from the Jakarta's bars or discos hanging out in 'Goa 2001' (Legian street), 'A Bar' (Seminyak) or 'Double 6' (Legian beach) (those chicks can go sometimes in Kuta but only in Hard Rock Café).

In a other purpose, the 'normal' Jakartanese crowd (where i can assume the most beautiful girls of Asia are to be found) in vacation usualy go late afternoon in 'Soda bar' (Legian) for drinks, snacks and sunset seing and at night go partying in 'Café Del Mar' (Seminyak), the most 'in' place for the moment....

And to end with the subject of girls in Bali, many Japonese, Koreans or Taiwanese chicks on vacations, many ready for a 'one night shot' with a westerner are to be found in Hard Rock Café from 10pm....

So Sanukers going in Bali won't be IMO so desesperate about finding pretty chicks.....if (and i agree with you on that point) avoiding the hardcore whores working/living there all year long who are usually ugly, on drugs and often sick....

About accomodation , i could strongly recommand a little hotel called 'Puri Naga' (AC bungalows, nice pool) which is just on the beach at one minute walking of 'Double 6' (!!!) and one minute to 'Soda Bar' and other beachfront bars/restaurants....it's a perfect location at a decent price (30 $).

Selamat jalan

Archived