Thais.. Probably the worst drivers in the world!

Fidel

Hello Fidel,

Apparently Thais are not the worst drivers in the world, but the most dangerous thing about Thailand is the traffic. I am grateful for every day that I do not get hit by a car, bus or motorcycle. A couple of months ago I was almost hit INSIDE a covered market by a motorcyclist riding through the aisle! I forgot to look both ways.

A Japanese fellow who came to Thailand for many years lived in my condo building. One day he hopped on the back of a taxi and waved goodbye to the manager. He was dead 10 minuteds later. It is absolutely total fucking mayhem out there!

My advice is NEVER RENT A MOTORBIKE and if possible never ride on a motorbike taxi. I am speaking about Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket in particular. I used to rent motorbikes in Pattaya. I enjoy riding the Honda "Dleams" to no end.

Then I got into my first somewhat serious accident - which I caused. I only have two eyes and I cannot look in enough directions at once to spot all traffic. I went down and the Thai lady passenger came off the other bike. No one was seriously injured, but my elbow was badly skinned and subsequently infected. As I was bleeding and trying to pull myself together, the other party was hammering at me for damages to his motorbike. I gave him 800 baht. No matter whose fault the accident is, you will be picked apart for compensation. If you aren't too badly hurt that can be the worst part of the situation.

I have dusted off a very old post and am putting it up in support of yours.

Take care,

Zane May

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived