Thais.. Probably the worst drivers in the world!

Fidel

Actually the driving in Thailand is quite relaxing once you learn to go with the flow and to keep your eyes OPEN to everything.........

Relaxing, yes, because I do compare them with Vietnam, China, India and some more......smile.gif

Cheers and drive carefully !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's kinda bad... but, yeah other countries are worse.

BUT...

There there are a few things I've noticed:

1) The biggest vehicle has the right of way.

2) You can switch lanes, or pull out from a curb even if you will cut someone off (hell, even without looking) so long as you do it SLOWLY. You can even blow off a stop sign to make a left turn onto the sholder of the road without looking to your right first. Sudden side movements are extremely dangerous as you may very likely have another vehicle whizzing by your side.

One thing that BLOWS ME AWAY when I am in BKK is how mellow all the drivers are (not many short tempers, honking, etc...) when the traffic is so awful.

Just now witnessed one of the most extreme displays of inadequate driving skills, coupled with stupidity that I have ever seen. A Range Rover came barreling down Su Soi 63 at about 120 km/h. When a car started to pull out of Ekamai Soi 2 the guy swerved at the same time locked all the brakes up and spun the range rover through 720 down Soi 63 on the wrong side of the road. Normally its heaving at this time of the day but the guy was as lucky as he was stupid as there was a window of almost no traffic that enabled him to get away with it.

Sayjann,

Must be kidding to put Portugal on top of the list......

Ever drove in Greece, particularly in Athens, or in southern Italy ?????? I drove often in Portugal, no better or worse than say france or Spain........

Also staying in Europe, maybe want to include some east-european countries ??? Russia, Rumania are baaaad !!!!!!

Of course, nothing compared to China / Vietnam / Indonesia / Indai and the likes........

Anybody tried some driving in large cities in Africa ???? I would suggest Lagos - Nigeria for starters !!! THAT is hell !!!!!

Cheers !

Fidel,

limited applause so far. What you probably mean is that from a western viewpoint the Thais (as other Asian countries ) do not have a strong sense for what we would call traffic-discipline. In Taiwan f.e. traffic means "filling space available" if on the motorway or in town. There is no obvious rule for anything. But other than in the "west" the grade of agression is as limited as the discipline ,which makes the system feasible. In Bangkok hardly anybody uses hooters.

cheers

I agree that Greece has some really bad drivers, and all of the horn honking whew. Also Slovakia is not that great, passing into oncoming traffic ect. I drove both suzuki jeeps and wave scooters in LOS. I found the key seems to be go slow, very slow, unless you are completley in the middle of nowhere. I thought the scooters where a great way to get around. My favorites where the waves with the disc brake on the front. (you have to look a bit) The really stop on a dime. Opps sontag. I think the most likely to kill themselve in LOS are the twentysomething jocks who rent oversized bikes just because they are cheap to rent. Then they try to drive like they are late for work. For me the key is slow and slower. If the worst should happen I can just stand up. LOL beats walking

BelgianBoy,

Portugal has by far the highest rate of traffic casualties in Europe, followed by Greece with some distance. I have an extra button on my dashboard which switches the brake lights on whenever I see a Portuguese following me with 2 inches distance. I am often in Portugal by car. What makes things really worse in Portugal is that insane driving is e supported by speed and red wine. I feel a lot safer in Thailand.

cheers

BB,

To each his own experiences of course, but casualties are not alway directly related to unsafe driving, look at all the fools in our own 2 countries !

As for the extra buttom for 2 inches, you are not really fair here, it should be 4 inches..smile.gif

This being said, it drives me totally crazy when somebody is kissing my ass on the motorway driving high speeds, I have no problem to hit the breaks a bit........

Cheers !

Archived