Thais.. Probably the worst drivers in the world!

Fidel

Not that I'm being xenopobic but I just thought I'd ask for you thoughts on the driving skills of Thais in general.

I have never seen such careless, wreckless, idiotic drivers in my life. I know you can buy a drivers licence for 500 baht so that's probably one of the reasons why they're so bad. Also, I myself drive without a licence so I woner how many others do.

I'm writing this post having bought a motorbike about 2 months ago and finally finding out for myself just what a hazardous country this is to drive in.

On Sunday I had a minor accident which could have been much worse.... completely as a result of the careless driving of a motorcycle taxi driver.

These people ALL drive on the wrong side of the road, switch lanes with no warning whatsoever, many of the vehicles have no break lights some have NO lights, the pedestrians just ramble about in front of you as if there is no traffic within 10 miles. Every few meters you meet another tacked together food stall hooked on to the back of a motorbike doing about 10 kmph.... insanity!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have been riding a motorcycle here sonce a few years, but not much lately. i found the traffic OK, had only one accident, not my fault, oil on the road and a careless driver coming out of a gas station.

you wanna see real crazy traffic, go to india, china or cambodia. thailand is a paradise in roadsafety and friendly driving compared to those places.

Definitely not.

If you really want to see bad driving visit any Arab country, or any other Asian country bar Singapore and Hong Kong.

In Vietnam and Indonesiais the driving is much worse than Thailand.

I find driving in Thailand an absolute pleasure.

>Like flyonzewall who wasn't getting the big picture.<

yeah, right. i know.

straight after my accident i attached all the lucky charms to my bike, started wearing my amuletts again.

no problems anymore!

smile.gif

Try Turkey.

When I went there the AA (UK Automobile Ass.) Handbook said " Extra care must be taken when driving in close proximity to local drivers."

But every country has it's, I was going to say rules, but I mean customs of driving. Try Rome if you want to have a quick education of city dodgems driving. And as for Cambodia...rules what rules! Having driven in many countries but I would not want to try and understand the rules in Phnom Pehn!

Archived