Watch Shoppin?

Greetings All,

A good day here in America, Happy 4 th to all expatriates. What makes today an exceptionally good day is that I just got off the phone with United Airlines. Life just seems a little better with a ticket to BKK.

Anyhow, I am going to do something I have never done in Thailand, buy something of value. I would like to purchase a watch but I have two compounding problems. One, I don?t know anything about watches. Two, I have no idea where to get a real one and wouldn?t know the difference unless the word FAKE was prominently displayed on the face.

I?m sure if I stuck to places like Emporium or the duty free at the airport I would be okay. Has anyone ever tried the jewelry shops at MBK?

Are their brands that are particularly cheap in Thailand as opposed to the US? I know that Rolex has an import restriction in the US.

I?m looking to spend under $1K, 300 to 600 is my preferred zone. Does anyone have a brand recommendation? Mostly I?m looking for a shop with good selection, good prices and reputable merchandise.

Regards,

Will

Imported watches are highly taxed in Thailand, so they are not a good deal here. You will find that they are much cheaper in the US. They're even cheaper in Hong Kong and Singpore, if you can get yourself there.

But as for Thailand, fuggeddaboutit!

Greetings Willy,

a good day here in Germany, although the 5th already. As yourself I am constantly caressing a piece of paper in front of me that says : Thai Air.It is the Star Alliance that makes us bretheren.

Your watches : If you intend to spend 300 or 600 US you won't get anything that sounds expensive, talking no-fake. The real expensive watches are no cheaper in Siam due to import duties, airport duty free neither is a good deal. Best buy for expensive stuff at reasonable prices should be Singapore and was Hongkong long ago.

If I was you I would buy a quality fake , Breitlings from China are very nice , or a low priced tecnically perfect thing like a Seiko from any warehouse.

cheers

BB,

Willy is saying happy 4th, and you take the 5th ....... ?????? smile.gif

Willy,

'Real' watches are no go in Thailand, just too expensive, and to buy a 'fake' I would just save the money and spend it on a nice ST them.......

Cheers !

Archived