my latest trip (day 6) continued.

sayjann

Exactly what part of "legal age of consent" do you not understand?

I gather you are English - apparently around 42 years old, so you are free to make decisions affecting your own life without unreasonable restraint, provided of course that you do not impinge on the rights of others or contravene the rule of law.

However, when you were young, before you reached a specified age (usually) agreed upon by a majority within your own society and thus enshrined in your Countrys' laws - you were quite simply not permitted to do certain things; e.g. ? vote in parliamentary or local elections, drive a car on public highways, drink alcohol, serve in the armed forces and so on. Your society and legal system were protecting you from making decisions you were not considered competent to make for yourself because of your youth and immaturity.

I emphasise "not permitted" as in ?it is the law of the land, it applies to everyone and you have no individual right to decide otherwise?.

As an example, at the age of, say, 13, you could not simply decide for yourself that you were competent to drive a car on a major highway; nor could you walk into a Pub and say to the the Landlord "OK - I am only 13 but I have decided that the laws governing alcohol consumption need not apply to me so give me a beer".

To summarise: A 17 year old girl is not legally an adult and cannot legally ?consent? to any act proscribed by law ? in this case sexual intercourse. Whether she told you she ?agreed? or ?consented? is irrevelant, you committed statutory rape ? a criminal offence in Thailand ?. and in England by the way.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'However, when you were young, before you reached a specified age (usually) agreed upon by a majority within your own society and thus enshrined in your Countrys' laws - you were quite simply not permitted to do certain things; e.g. ? vote in parliamentary or local elections, drive a car on public highways, drink alcohol, serve in the armed forces and so on. Your society and legal system were protecting you from making decisions you were not considered competent to make for yourself because of your youth and immaturity'.

so because of laws made 10,20,50,100 years ago,people of certain ages are being protected from making decisions because they are not competent enough?.

who is to say a 60 y.o. person is more competent then a 14 y.o.?.

is that what you are saying?,because the law says so,it must be so?.

as for voting in parliamentary and local elections,when i see the antics in the english parliament,i agree with what you say.

these elected men and women are far more mature than schoolchildren LOL

'I emphasise "not permitted" as in ?it is the law of the land, it applies to everyone and you have no individual right to decide otherwise'.

so no-one according to laws has an individual right?.

so suddenly when the clock turns over at midnight and the person turns from 17 to 18,they are magically transformed from person with no rights/views/opionions/mind to one who suddenly knows everything and has all the knowledge/rights in the world.

if a girl wants to lose her virginity 1 hour before her official legal birthday and finishes afterwards,is this wrong?.

she may not tell you how old she is and if you look at the i.d. card,you may be none the wiser.

you must have led a sheltered life when you were young.

did you never do anything you were'nt allowed to?.

'As an example, at the age of, say, 13, you could not simply decide for yourself that you were competent to drive a car on a major highway; nor could you walk into a Pub and say to the the Landlord "OK - I am only 13 but I have decided that the laws governing alcohol consumption need not apply to me so give me a beer'.

i don't know why 13 y.o's are being included here.

i have had no experience of people of this age since i was 13,perhaps you know more about them then you want to divulge.

'To summarise: A 17 year old girl is not legally an adult and cannot legally ?consent? to any act proscribed by law ? in this case sexual intercourse. Whether she told you she ?agreed? or ?consented? is irrevelant, you committed statutory rape ? a criminal offence in Thailand ?. and in England by the way'.

so because a 17 y.o. person is not legally an adult,and has no rights or mind of her/his own,she/he are not ALLOWED to make any decisions.

i agree that i broke the law in thailand,inadvertantly as i think most of you know.

and i hold my hand up to that.

however i will be looking all over the media,internet etc for examples of your last point.

having sex with a 17 y.o. in england is classed as statutory rape?.

why is it that,when 2 16 y.o. people marry in the u.k.,the husband is never thrown in prison for 'rape'?.

according to you 17 is underage,then why does the law say we can marry at 16,the age of consent is 16?.

is this now a new agenda?,where the law allows men to marry a 16 y.o. and then throws them in jail for having underage sex?.

OK - I give up! I am obviously beating a dead horse here since a couple of very basic concepts clearly elude you.

Just continue your shambolic carouse through life; and hope that the next time someone attempts to explain "legal age of consent" to you, you are not sitting in a court of law - particularly a Thai one.

Paul

Guest lazyphil

It has to be said you are digging yourself a big hole. Just re-think some stuff and start over before you end up in some deep dog poo!

Give the guy a break, all the girls working in the bars are now supposed to be 20 plus and the age of consent in Thailand is officially 15... yes 17 is underage for commercial sex but it is a stupid law enforced largely to let Thai men have the chance of ruining their women first. It also makes sure that the various voluntary bodies who feed off western money can make increasingly stupid claims as to the amount of child abuse going down in the East (by definind children as sub 18 rather than sub 16 or 15).

Having said all that, I would have found out her age beforehand by checking her ID card and if under 18 would not have touched her - suggest you change your hotel to be on the safe side - because you are just leaving yourself at their mercy. The gal may be really sweet, etc, but the mamasans and pimps aren't! Not to mention the police (who to be fair are usually fine unless you break the law).

I think I nearly got done by some gal in pattaya who claimed to be 22 but looked about 15 and we had some cop in plains clothes (I think - shoes, pants, crew cut and general facial expression) trailing along behind us as we walked along the promenade. I went to use the toilet in the shopping centre and she did a disappearing act. Sensible girl you might think, but I hadn't paid her for the night's/morning's sex yet. Figured the cop had decided to pick her up and turn her. Waited an hour for her to turn up then freaked out, checked out of the hotel (fortunately, they never ask to see my passport so no real details about me, there) and got the next bus back to Bkk. Probably just paranoid but better safe than sorry! I don't actually think the gal herself was into anything other than lying about her age (no ID card but she looked about 19-20 in the bar's neon so I went along with the 22 until I woke up!)

that sound pretty paranoid OK. as i mentionned, many underage girls work the beach and other sections in Pattaya. I doubt the cops would do anything unless summoned to a hotel to catch a farang doing it with a child. I was hanging out with my GF 2 years ago, and 2 of her friends were 15 and working. It did not seem to phase anyone out,and certainly not these young ones. I find it regrettable but i know the scene, 15 looking late teens is not going to make an eye bat in Pattaya. Especially not a Pattaya cop.

Guest lazyphil

<<15 looking late teens is not going to make an eye bat in Pattaya. Especially not a Pattaya cop>>

How sad is this?

Guest lazyphil

For those girls it?s pretty good they were lucky enough to meet guys who are taking care of them. But what about the other underage and vulnerable girls out there? I feel sad about your fatalistic attitude towards all this...''life'', of course its this, but hell we should all try and promote Thailand as something more than a place where guys can sleep with young girls and getting it dismissed as just being ''life''.

Archived