Does Thailand accept double nationalities?

Hi guys,

Do you know if my future wife can keep her thai citizenship if she gets my nationality?

Thanks

Strato

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

MY info is no, dual nationality is NOT allowed by Thai law, at least not after age 18. Many Thais get around this by simply nto telling Thailand that they have acquired another nationality. They leave and enter Thailand on their Thai passports, then use their other passport elsewhere.

One exception is dual Thai and Malaysian nationality is allowed in the South, but that is being rethought, because of the recent troubles down there. There WERE plans to make those people choose one or another, but today's "Bangkok Post" reports that that plan is on hold for now.

Sorry to say, but dual nationality is definitely allowed and unrelated to a passport, which is merely a document that enables travel

not allowed, but i know several people who have found ways around that by simply not telling. seems to as long as they keep quiet nobody is gonna make too deep researches.

All I can think of when I read this message string is the line in the movie "Basic Instinct" when Sharon Stone lights up a cigarette while being questioned at the police station about a murder. The interrogators tell her "You can't smoke here" and she just puffs away, then retorts "What are you going to do, arrest me for smoking?......."

A Thai departs Thailand with an ID card and passport as a Thai. Then gets married overseas and acquires another nationality. Still has the valid Thia ID card and passport. What, exactly, constitutes citizenship? When you are outside your own country, your passport and national ID card (if they exist) effectively establish your foreign citizenship.

I do not believe that Thailand seeks to unilaterally revoke citizenship of ex-pat Thais who acquire dual citizenship overseas. I suspect that the Revenue Department would be happy to tax overseas Thais as Thai citizens (after they got up off the floor after collapsing, if an ex-pat Thai with dual citizenship ever actually tried to pay Thai taxes).

I'm not actually sure on a case-by-case basis, but most countries are not in a big hurry to unilaterally "strip" citizenship from nationals who bring credit to their country, but have gained a second nationality along the way.

One exception in most countries is serving in the armed forces of another country, in situations where you must swear an oath of allegiance of loyalty to the other government - in that case, I believe most countries will strip citizenship. I know that the USA will do so.

It is always wise to remember that the present King of Thailand was born overseas, and could have foreign nationality if he wanted it. I suspect that this fact carries some practical impact on how such issues are handled in present-day Thailand.

It is also interesting to note how hard it is for some members of minority tribes in the far northwest to obtain citizenship of any country - small wonder that some seem to gravitate to the only "governments" that will accept them - the Shan and Wa "state armies".

I spent a couple of hours today with a retired Thai who previously served as Thailand's ambassador to several countries. When I next meet with him, I will ask him about revocation of Thai citizenship due to acquiring a second nationality. He is presently an associate federal judge on a part-time basis, even in retirement, so I assume he will know what he is talking about.

Cheers!

Stone Soup

It is always wise to remember that the present King of Thailand was born overseas, and could have foreign nationality if he wanted it. I suspect that this fact carries some practical impact on how such issues are handled in present-day Thailand.

-------------------

I doubt it, as HM status is (in practice) outside of the law, and quite a person apart from other thai nationals. It seems that our most knowledgeable friends are of different opinions, so we await you asking your friend.

Archived