Does Thailand accept double nationalities?

i know several thais born in thailand who revoked volontarily their citizenship when they got granted citizenship from other countries. they have to apply for visas now like everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a thai is granted a citizenship from another country the law requires that he or she notifies the Thai authorities so they can revoke the Thai citizenship. Thais don't do this because they would lose several rights in Thailand such as owning land and inheriting from anyone in Thailand. Owning 2 passports also helps whilst travelling, just ask my wife...

I (and believe we) would be very interested in learning about this law and how it is applied. Can you give any other information? I did not believe a Thai would lose their citizenship in Thailand just by having citizenship in another country but stand ready to be corrected if I am wrong.

Several countries insist that you relinquish your nationality when you become a national of your own choice in that country. It is different if you obtain more than 1 nationality by law (birth etc.).

Other countries allow dual nationality but only 1 passport.

Thailand allows both dual nationality and having passports from other countries.

In the case of a country as described in the first paragraph, it is not Thailand that insists on relinquishing Thai nationality but the the country of which nationality is obtained.

This has been an interesting thread. Started off with a number of different viewpoints and seems to be heading towards a general consensus. Now for some background and questions.

My daughter was born in BKK, birth registered here and papers submitted to UK embassy, so she has two birth certificates. Applied for and received two passports, one UK, other Thai. UK embassy stamped Thai passport with "Right of abode in UK" stamp. So she can come and go as she pleases. I will go through the same process when the second one pops out early next year.

Wife and I are legally married in Thailand and also registered in UK. Wife now has no problem getting UK visa, certainly sir, sign here, pay the fee, 2 year multiple entry, renew it when it runs out, NFQ (no further questions).

Question, can my wife easily obtain UK citizenship? Not really necessary as we live here just thinking aloud really.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions, all greatfully received.

M

Living here (believe Thailand) it probably would not be possible but will let someone in the know answer that. Can say for US Citizenship she would have to live in the US for an extended period of time. And if the UK is the same that might make it less than easy. smile.gif

Ex-wife changed her nationality. I understand that dual nationality was not possible. The embassy told her that it would not be a problem to change back to Thai nationality later if she needed.

Either way, the only way to go in these matters are to check with the embassy. An internet board is not the right place to get this kind of info 100% correct...

Archived