Does Thailand accept double nationalities?

Agreed.

I cannot think of any other standard thing that a citizen can do to be unilaterally stripped of citizenship. Mass murderers, drug lords, paedophile axe murderers - these guys might all go to the gallows, but they retain their citizenship to the end.

If anyone knows of even a single legitimate Thai citizen that has ever been involuntarily stripped of Thai citizenship for ANY reason, I'd be interested to hear about it.

This does not count situations involving murky border areas / hill tribes, or cases of suspected identity or nationality fraud. But I would be amazed if a normal, college-educated Thai in good standing could have his Thai citizenship unilaterally revoked for gaining citizenship elsewhere - through marriage, property purchase, or any other conventional occurrence.

Stone Soup

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There are plenty of Jewish Americans who have served in the Israeli armed forces and have no problems with their US citizenship."

U.S. citizens are allowed to serve in armed forces of other nations, just not as officers. (And so long as it's not an enemy country.) There's a "Straight Dope" section about this, concerning Dual U.S.-Israeli citizens in the Israeli army, but too late and too tired to search for it now.

What others are saying here, too, just verifies what I said. NOt allowed legally by Thailand, but can be done in secret. If worse came to worst, Thailand would simply just not recognize the other citizenship.

They leave and enter Thailand on their Thai passports, then use their other passport elsewhere.

Apart from questions of dual-nationality, there is a practical reason for that. If a Thai enters on a foreign passport, he or she is treated as a foreigner and has the limitations on period of stay that all of the expatriates experience.

I had lunch today with a retired Thai career foreign service diplomat. He served 40 years, culminating in service as Thailand's Ambassador to China. Along the way, he served as a mid to senior level diplomat at Thai embassies in: Buenos Aires, Brussels, Belgrade, Pyongyang, Mexico City, Lisbon, and Saudi Arabia. He also spent two years as head of Thailand's delegation to ASEAN.

He reported never having EVER heard of ANY natural born Thai ever having citizenship revoked - either voluntarily, or non-voluntarily (he indicated that there may have been cases of foreigners being granted Thai citizenship, and later either renouncing it, or having it revoked). Apparently, there is no precedent for revocation of Thai citizenship from a natural born Thai. By the way, several of this gentlemen's children were born overseas, and all are Thai citizens. In no case did he apply for them to also obtain citizenship of country of birth, but he indicated that this is fairly common - many, many Thais have dual citizenship (evidently Tiger Woods has ual US-Thai citizenship, which I did not realize).

Point. Game. Set. Match.

Some fakirs who proclaimed bogus "facts" on this string should crawl back under wahtever rock they slithered out from.

Cheers!

Stone Soup

Tiger Woods does not have Thai Citizenship - in the sense that he has an ID card and/or passport. He has the right to apply for Thai citizenship since his mother is Thai, but this is not the same as saying that he is dual nationality. The Thai government offered to give him "Honorary" Citizenship once but nothing came from it.

I've never heard anything about Thailand revoking citizenship of Thais who obtained other citizenships; I've always heard they just don't recognize the other one as long as you yourself have not given up the Thai citizenship.

Tiger Woods does NOT hold dual citizenship. In fact, certain politicians embarrassed themselves publicly years ago when he came to Thailand to play in a tournament for the first time. They were falling all over themselves trying to decide what honors to heap upon this "favorite son," when it was decided that he would be granted the honor of Thai citizenship (and I don't mean "honorary citizenship"). Unfortunately, no one checked with Tiger, who, as it turns out, didn't want it. He opted to keep his American citizenship, which he would have had to give up, based on Thai, and not American, law.

Once again, the only exception I'm hearing about are the Thai-Malaysians down South, and the government is about to make THEM decide. This is being played out in the media.

Thanks StoneSoup and all the others who replied to that question. It's good to know that she will probably be able to keep her thai citizenship, if my gouvernment finally decides to allow double nationalities.

Regards,

Strato

Archived