sushi - I need it.....

Pablo666

I've been living in India for the past year where there is none - and coming to BKK soon - so anyone know any great places that won't bust my credit card?

Been to Landmarks hotel sushi restaurant before, and in MBK there was a place on the ground floor...also there was an interesting Japanese place where noone spoke English (and no English menus) on Soi 23 (?).....

I highly recommend the all-you-can eat lunches at Kozosushi, ground floor, Thaniya Plaza. For 200 baht a head, the stuff just keeps coming at you around the conveyor belt. All kinds of Japanese tidbits, not just sushi.

Well, if you want to see a giant Japanese seafood paradise and other diverse Japanese foods, try Oishi. All you can eat for 500 baht a head and they have an incredibly large assortment including places to choose a plate of things to have grilled and brought to your table. Check the link for locations; my info is based on the one at Siam.

http://www.oishirestaurant.com

it's not easy finding authentic japanese food, even in japan! shocked.gif

for a long time, sushi has been american-ized or western-ized or bastard-ized. california roll anyone? or when they start putting mayo or cream cheese in sushi, yuck! the craziest thing I heard about japanese cuisine trends is putting parmesan cheese in ramen! for @#$!'s sake, cheese on ramen?!!!! and not just a little neither. they shovel that in making a gruely consistency. oh ya, this was started in japan. go figure...

Well, I'm certainly no expert on Japanese food (although I've visited Japan half a dozen times, I have never lived there for any period of time).

So, apart from the way it tastes, I often base my "authenticity rating" on the number of Japanese salarymen I see patronizing a certain place. I've been to Oishi several times (dragged there by colleagues), but have seen only Thais eating there.

On the other hand, Kozosushi is packed with Japanese businessmen every lunch time. And the food tastes like what I've had in Japan.

Basically, you can't go wrong in Thaniya Road, if you follow the crowds of Japanese. Some of it isn't cheap, though.

Another place I really like is Min-Min, just inside Sukhumvit Soi 33/1 (near Villa Supermarket). This is a Japanese version of a greasy spoon, and it is always packed out by Japanese expats. It's not sushi, though, more that peculiar form of Japanese-style Chinese cooking (ramen, yaki soba, gyoza, curry rice, katsu curry rice, tantanmen, etc.). Dishes there run between 100 and 150 baht each. Excellent and filling stuff.

There are several Japanese restaurants in Soi Thaniya. Many malls offer Japanese food and also sushi. But be warned. The quality is inferior to any Sushi restaurant in Japan. But coming from India it can be paradise.

A popular Japanese food place for Thai people seems to be Fuji Restaurant. There are many brances all over Bangkok (Emporium The Mall at Bangkapi, near Silom, etc.). Food has been Thai-icized as noted in earlier post but it is fresh and quite reasonably priced.

Another place that has a lot of Japanese people at lunch time and has decent prices and food is Fukucho opposite the Emporium near the Prom Phong BTS station. An added attraction here is watching the Sumos fight on TV while you eat your lunch.

soi 33/1 sukhumvit has a couple of cheap and good japanese restaurant; so as well there are about 6-7 between soi 39 and thonglor on one plaza. a bit more upmarket, but still very reasonable is shin daikoku on sukhumvit soi 19.

in the sukhumvit area are probably 3-4 dozen good japanese restaurants; sushi or sashimi moriawase easily avialable for 250-450 baht.

Archived