Want to have a farang surname..How to do?

I would like to use my bf (husband?s surname) I have been married in Thai-Chinese condition with him over 4 years. But before I was afraid of changing to his surname I don?t want to become a farang 100%. Because we will stay in Thailand forever and sometime he need my Thai nationality to help us. In the future I will build or buy our house somewhere and I am waiting for my mother?s properties. She will given a share of her property to everybody in family when the youngest daughter married(That?s me). So I am afraid if I have changed to farang surname I will not have a chance to have it and do it.

I would like to ask: I don?t want to sign register at the Ambassy or do marry farang style (although I can)?can I just do Thai register and change surname to his.

How about my old passport document, office, ID, I have to change it or not?

If I do not register farang style can I still take property from my family?

I do not mind his money because my family have much more than him but the thing is I want to use his surname because I love it?It?s beginning with MC?that?s a lovely. I want to be Mrs. Mc....

cheers

Sorry for my poor English.

New jitty

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can marry by registration at a District Office after your husband obtains a document certified by his Embassy that he is not married to someone else and a little biographic data. This will then have to be translated into Thai and registered with the Thai Foreign Ministry. After that you take it to the District Office and get married like anyone else. You should then change your ID card and Passport to your new name. You will still be 100% Thai and can own land and property, but as now, your husband can not own it so he will have to sign that he understands this and that the money is yours that is used to pay for any new purchase.

My husband is English not an american are the rule the same?

At the moment he is applying for Thai citizenship.

Will this make any more problems?

Thanks

jitty

Rules are set by the Thai government so should be the same. For a foreigner to register a marriage to a Thai he must obtain paperwork showing he is able to marry and have it registered at the Foreign Ministry. Have no idea under what provision he may be trying to obtain Thai citizenship or why so can not answer if this pending marriage would have any effect on it (and would not know even if I had the details).

You will still be 100% Thai and can own land and property.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was always under the assumption, as is my wife, that once the surname has changed to the husband's surname that they are unable to own property or land. We could however be wrong.

Cheers

Thank you very much for your adviced.

The next step is....How.?

I think we will go to Bang rak district to sign a from. What we have to take with us...and how much we have to pay for the officer?

after that I will take the paper to my home town to change my ID card first.

thank you

jitty

"At the moment he is applying for Thai citizenship. "

Really? On what grounds is he applying for citizenship. I didn't think that was granted to any foreigner, Englishman or the other.. residency is one thing but citizenship? Is it possilbe??

FF

"You will still be 100% Thai and can own land and property.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was always under the assumption, as is my wife, that once the surname has changed to the husband's surname that they are unable to own property or land. We could however be wrong. "

That used to be the law but it was changed in I think it was 1999. Now a Thai woman who is married to a foreign national can still own land, though the husband cannot. He can only own a condo in a building where the number of units are majority Thai-owned.

Cheers!

First step is to have him go to the British Consulate section that deals with expats and complete the paperwork/notorize it. Take this paper to a translation service that is certified by the Foreign Ministry and have it translated (and they can probably do the registration at the Foreign Ministry for you - probably 1-2,000 baht for this service). Then with this original, your ID card and home registration paper, your husband and his passport you can register the marriage just like any other Thai couple. Most District Offices also want a witness/translator to be present but at Bang Rak they have available as many foreigners register there. Not sure of the charge but it is very small.

Archived