Want to have a farang surname..How to do?

Fly,

I'm interested in hearing about friends of yours who have received their PR book. Has this been in the last two years ?

My contacts at Immigration say that no Farang foreigner has been GRANTED the PR, while many have been approved. Still need one signature at the top that has not been forthcoming.

The requirement (as I understand it) is not the work permit for three years, but 3 years of an uninterrupted Non Immigrant Visa, could be O or B class.

For Jit, you can forget about getting Thai citizenship for your husband. Not at this time.

Cheers!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a nepali friend got it last year.

he said that to get that signiture you will have to get through a lawyer who then disperses the right amount of money through the right channels, making out of a process costing less than fifty thousand baht by law a process costing several hundred thousand baht.

but don't quote me on that, i have never applied for it myself. once i asked, but when i heard about the taxsituation when you have a PR i prefer to stay on my normal 1 year nonimm with normal workpermit.

>The requirement (as I understand it) is not the work permit for three years, but 3 years of an uninterrupted Non Immigrant Visa, could be O or B class. <

yeah, you are right there. but i think it has to be the one year variety you can renew inside thailand, not the three months one.

Got mine 7 years ago. Took 6 months

Cost: 2K application fee, 25K fee upon approval. No other paymnets were required. Did apply by myself without laywers or other sharks around.

don't know about the process at this time, but a friend got it 2 years ago without too much difficulty

i have heard that the regulations changed last year, esp. that you have to be fluent in writing and reading thai too now in order to get the PR granted. but still, it is basically just hearsay what i write here, so i might be wrong.

would be interesting if you could post the requirements as far as you know them (or better, your friend as it was more recent).

i was told that there is also some sort of a quota system and regular exceptions. seems to be rather complicated.

i would appreciate some enlightenment.

Orandanodes,

That's seem as I have heard, It is very difficult for him to become a Thai(impossible). Because he is not fluent in Thai at all even though he has been here for working since 1992 never turn back home any more (first came 1991).

However, as you said, It depend on who are you and who do you know : this word I have heard them from him many times with his smiled....I do not know why some farangs still do under the table..even at my office.

many thanks

jitty

Fry,

Don't worry nothing seriously....this is a rule of board member!!. no argument. but some sarcasms is allowed.

cheers

jitty

Sorry to say that I don't know much about the requirements, but I'm sure they are somewhere on internet (try via www.ethailand.com).

My case was a bit unusual perhaps, as I was personally invited by the then chief of immigration to apply. Needed various documents that I can remember from both myself and my wife (birth certificate, certificate of good conduct) and we had to come for an interview.

Don't know about the Thai language requirement, but should add that I speak Thai fluently.

For Thai nationality I think that the language requirement is equal to the level of Por6, which I would pass without problems.

Visa requirement is minimum 3 years continuous non-immigrant. Work permit is unrelated to a PR, but tax payments are.

The friend I mentioned got it without too much difficulty but I forgot to mention that it was his second or third try.

I have also been invited (recently that is) to apply for Thai nationality. Problem is that I would lose my own nationality.

However, such will not be the case for British or Swiss nationals as their nationality laws allows for obtaining another nationality.

As I said before, in Thailand in matters who you are and who you know. If your answer can be the right persons, things like PR's are really easy to obtain.

thanks a lot.

>As I said before, in Thailand in matters who you are and who you know. If your answer can be the right persons, things like PR's are really easy to obtain. <

that will be a problem for me, as i tend to piss off the "right" people with some of my views, LOL.

Archived