Do you speak like a woman?

Fidel

.."However, I was very surprised to find that waitresses in restaurants did not ask me: Rap Arai Kha? As I should expect according to my books..."

So you learned from Linguaphone too, eh? wink.gif

I learned from tapes - half male voices and I've had the same problem, so I don't think it comes from learning from women.

I've noticed that nearly all farangs speak Thai far above their natural pitch, though. I think it's because, to us, the men do seem to be rather effiminate, but we overcompensate for it. I'm consciously trying to work my way back to more manly tones!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>.."However, I was very surprised to find that waitresses in restaurants did not ask me: Rap Arai Kha? As I should expect according to my books..."

That is what I call a qualified guess! You are quite right by the way smile.gif Besides from that I followed classes in Thailand as well.

>Speaking thai above their natural pitch?

Now I come to think about it I suspect I am guilty of that as well. It is probably as you say caused by an involuntary overcompensation.

No wonder I seem to attract gays like cheese attracts flies.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I always wondered why the linguaphone course taught these non common polite words. I always wanted to talk the language of common folks. But 2 years spent upcountry sure took the overly polite words out of me smile.gif

These days when I get to hear them they leave me somewhat disorientated as I hear them rarely.

When I first picked up the "Ja" from listening to women talk I used it indiscriminately but I soon found out that was not particularly manly smile.gif

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I guess my wife appreciates some privacy in form of being able to speak to her friends without me being able to understand it. Not anymore though...

My parents always spoke Finnish when they didn't want me and my siblings to understand what they were talking about. Still don't understand Finnish...

The speaking like a woman thing is more about farangs imitating the female intonation and pitch, not so much about the words used. I often hear farang guys using female like intonation when making exclamation like phrases in Thai. Words like ja or ha are OK for guys to use its just the way they are said. Its a very fine line between sounding romantic or gay in thai !

btw I hear phrases like "rap arai ka" or "rap arai perm ka" often.

Hi DB.

>>btw I hear phrases like "rap arai ka" or "rap arai perm ka" often.<<

Yes, I soon realized that I never got to hear these expression because I am cheapskate and mostly eat at foodstalls and local cheap restaurants.

The author of the Linguaphone course simply assumed that a foreigner would eat at fancy upmarket places and would be most likely to encounter expressions as the above.

By the way I definitely never heard "rap arai perm"?

How do you translate that?

Hua Nguu

unrelated to the original point. Since you mention pum. i would add that pum ka means to appreciate in value. Which I would like to use in a sentence. Would you say, "nung dolla pum ka ??? Thai baht laew." I would like to say the dollar has appreciated versus the Thai baht. Thanks.

Thai is gender specefic as per the speaker, not the person spoken too... English is gender specefic as to the person spoken to, Hello Mam.. Hello Sir.. A Thai woman address a man differently from how a man addresses a man.

We learn from the people we associate with & so we speak like our BG friends.. like womens!

Do Kethoys speak gender specefic like womens or men?

Archived