Do you speak like a woman?

Fidel

I was speaking to a Thai friend the other day over dinner and being as blunt and out spoken as she is, she informed me that when I speak Thai I speak like a woman.

I had never realised this before but when I think about it it makes sense. The vast majority of Thai people I speak to are women. The majority of my Thai has been learned through speaking so I guess it's inevitable that I should end up speaking Thai like a woman.

Anyone else here have this problem?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this sounds familiar to me too... When I first started to (try to) speak thai, my wife told me "you speak like a katoey"... hmm... at least I don't hear that kind of comment today, just "you speak tooooo much thai" which ain't good either - for her that is... :-)

"Very common phenomenon in Japan. Foreigners pick up Japanese from GF and speak like a girl..."

That's true. Which in turn, as in Thailand, means that we speak like lady-boys and queers. When Japanese TV "comedy" shows (Tunnels, Downtown, Uchan-Nanchan, Neptune) have Japanese guys pretending to be gaijin they speak (and act) in an outrageously effeminate manner. This helps promote the underlying message that most foreign guys are poofters. blush.gif

j wink.gif

I don`t think I am guilty of that.

Because I started learning thai following formal thai classes and self study courses.

So I learnt all the correct and very polite phrases and idioms. Still waiting to hear them used in everyday situations in Thailand though smile.gif)

However, I was very surprised to find that waitresses in restaurants did not ask me: Rap Arai Kha? As I should expect according to my books. But instead Ao Arai? Gin Khao Arai Dee? and even Ao Nyang?

And when you go out to eat at a restaurant: That would according to my books be: Pbai Taan Aharn thee Patakharn whileas in real life it is inevitably something like: Pbai Gin Khao thee Raanaharn. Etc.

I guess I am just not associating with the right class of people smile.gif

I am guilty though of using Ja instead of krap on occasions. And that I picked up from listening to girls talking.

Incidentally I`ve heard several of my friends who do not speak thai remarking that many thai guys sound extremely effeminate when they talk. Besides from gays that is.

I guess it is the unfamiliar tones that give them that expression.

Regards

Hua Nguu.

>>Pbai Taan Aharn thee Patakharn<<<

Indeed nice and polite, but not common spoken language, although amongst the higher society you would say this if you don't know them too much.

using "Ja" is OK for men when addressing their girlfriends, and not necessarily feminine

Archived