Do you speak like a woman?

Fidel

>>As for Cambodia. Is it possible that this language (Khmer) is related to Sanskrit? Sanskrit and Hindi -as far as I know- are also non tonal languages.<

Well, both the thai language and the khmer has borrowed heavily from Sanskrit/Pali but whereas Khmer is the most important member of the non tonal Mon-Khmer family of languages, the thai language is of a monosylabillic tonal sino-tibetan origin.

"Early Thai settlers in the late Dvaravati period gradually enlarged their own Chinese-influenced, tonal, monosyllabic language by borrowing and adapting certain Mon and Khmer words. Later, the Thais absorbed polysyllabic Sanskrit (the classical language of Hindu India) and Pali words as Brahmanism and Theravada Buddhism asserted their shaping influences"

Hua Nguu.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you speak like a woman?

I had this problem since I first learnt Thai in a household with a Thai mother and 5 sisters.

However I think that it also has to do with the kinds of sounds found in Thai. For a start Thai doesn't have many hard consonant sounds which might give it a more 'manly' characteistic. Think for example of German or Japanese.

Archived