Phuket

BelgianBoy

Warning : this is not a sex report, but a genuine travel report.....

I was last week in Phuket for 9 days and it was from 1987 ago that I was there, so yes, a few changes happened.

First of all, last time I was there with a friends and we did the bars at night, this time I was there with my GF, and we did do the sights.smile.gif

We stayed at the Felix Resort on Karon beach, south of Patong beach.

You have no choice but either hire a car at the airport or take a taxi with fixed rates, so we paid a princely sum of 500 Bt for a 40 minute ride.

The hotel was fine, 4 blocks of 2 stories high ( actually 3 thai stories ), a nice pool and a smaller children pool.

In high season price is 4000 Bt overnight, now we paid for a large room, kingsize bed, safe, breakfast, VAT and tax 1650 Bt which is good value.

Breakfast was lousy the first 3 days, but then suddenly the buffet expanded 10-fold, so it was really good.

We were very lucly with the weather, it rained only 1 evening and on another day only 1 hour in the afternoon, just when we were riding.....

Transportation is a rip-off, first night we took a tuk-tuk to Patong at a fixed rate of 150 Bt, and same tariff to return to the hotel.

So, second day I rented a bike..... want to do that in the hotel, fine and you?ll pay 200-250 Bt a day, we walked 200 meter to a bike shop and paid 150 Bt a day.

I did over 400 km in a full week, costed me 120 BT in gasoline.smile.gif

Actually reading a book on Phuket before my visit, I did find a statistic of 170 people per year killed on the roads of the island, but in fact I did find driving there quite safe, all cars do take a lot of care and drive rather slowly.

The only accident I did see, was a fat-bellied farang with a too big chopper in a ditch, probably from too much drinking.....

The island is fully geared for tourism, on every corner everywhere you will find tailor shops, restaurants, beerbars, textile shops and more stuff to buy.

In all places one will find the japanese bustours, a lot of arabic tourists, families, groups, and the singles farang tourists, alone or with a BG.

We did some beaches, from Laem Ka, to Naihan, Kata Noi en Yai, Karon and a quick look at Patong beach..... the prettiest and quietest is definitely Naihan beach in the south.... very beautiful and so out of the way that only the people with transport can go there.

3 definite viewpoints do do : Kata viewpoint to see north including Patong, then more south to Phromthep Cape where on a good day, hundreds will gather to watch to sunset, and the viewpoint east of Phuket town, above the gypsy sea village.

As for musea e.o., do not do the Orchid garden and Thai village, that is worthless and a rip-off, the orchids are just planted and flowerless, the only one we saw were plastic.....

Only 1 km from there is the Butterfly and Aquarium, 200 Bt entry, but a must do on the list, fantastic as those exotic butterflies even come to sit on your finger, that is, if you do show some patience.....smile.gif

He, interested in pictures ? send me a PM......

Also did the Phuket aquarium down at the marine biological research centre, but actually the one mentionned above was cleaner and more complete.

However this one was down on Phanwa Cape, and that is quite a view !

Next to Chalong is the Phuket shell museum, which is probably the most complete in the world, and again 200 Bt entrance, but worth every satang. Then again, I?m a big collector myself, so I was really in heaven there, and I had to be dragged out of the museum and out of the shop as well !

We also did the ( nearly mandatory ) day-trip to Phi Phi Island.

You can go with the masses and on a ferry with 400 others, then rent a longboat to see some of the sights, or hire a private speedboat and captain, or go in an organised trip with speedboat and 15-18 passengers.

We did the last, and paid 2200 Bt per person, all included, drinks, fruit, lunch, snorkels, guide, etc....

A beautifull day, a good guide, and a nice group and of course, great diving and great locations and beaches.

Do not miss this out !

Wanna go for an elephant ride ? No problem, I did see that on 5 different places on the island ! Do make sure to negotiate the price, starting price is 500 Bt per person for 20 minutes ! Need I to say we paid a lot less ?

As for food, all is really more expensive that Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand, a regular Thai meal is 250-400 Bt, if you go for top seafood with lobster and drinks, pay 1400-2000 Bt, but I was told that it could not be a problem for me.... as being farang in Thailand I must be rich anyway....

All in all a great holiday, certainly because of the company I was with, but Phuket is still a good place to go to, as it has a little bit for all tastes.

Cheers !

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought you were joking about the sex?! Where's the overly descriptive sexf?! Just kidding. Enjoyed your report and frankly others like it for when I do my future planned tour around the country.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the 'fun' distractions are fine too! I've never been to Phuket but hear its fairly expensive and you confirmed some of the things I've heard. I'll try to go there next year to see for myself. Thanks, again.

i find phuket no more expensive then BKK.

if you go on the trips,you will be given a price,but do not listen to that.

go in low season and they are desperate for custom.

haggle with them,if you cannot get a cheap price,well.

at least 30-40 tour operaters within 400 yards and all trying to undercut each other.

was quoted 1800 for 4 people to go to phang nga,walked away and was chased down the road by the agent.

offered 800 for the trip,which we took.

not that i'm a cheap charlie,just that i know the market rate.

they make up the difference by over-charging the japanese.

they will pay the earth.

prices for drinks/girls in bars/go-go's are the same as BKK.

but of course some will try for more,up to you.

C.Steve,

Actually I have no idea about drinks, barfines, ST and LT as I had no chance or no need to find out..........

But I negotiated the hotel from 2200 to 1600 Bt a night, and the Phi Phi trip was offered at 2900 Bt where I booked at

2200 Bt.

I did have the distintive feeling that all is a lot more relaxted compared to BKK.........

Cheers !

Belgian Boy

Nice report, reminded me of my first trip to the LOS. On my last trip I just did the BKK and Pattaya thing, not nearly as refreshing or entertaining. The Kata view is stunning, and I couldnt agree more with you on your choice of beaches. Actualy, now that I think of it, your a bastard, got me yearning to go back. Glad you had a great time and thanks for the report.

Mr Tud Ball,

Hahaha, thanks for the compliment ! Isn't this all what trip reports are all about ?

To give info, tips, advice and yearnings to follow members ?

And, let me point a finger to a lot of others : it is not always or only about sex........

Actually I flew back to Belgium today, and on the last leg I had two factory workers sitting next to me.....

They spend 2 weeks in Pattaya, never ate thai food, did not visit anything, did not go to more than 3 bars not further away than 200 meters from their hotel, and barely speak english......

But they had a great time, drinking, and f**ing girls every day.

One was only 37, and half of his teeth were missing......

This makes me so ashamed, and there is sooooo much more than that !

Sorry for the rant.......

Cheers !

Hi BB,

Looks like you had a good time buddy. Congrats on finding such a sweet and good girl. I envy you... smile.gif

Did you change your vacation plans? I thought we were to be in LOS at about the same time (August)... Anyways, if you could send me some of the pictures (I will PM you an email address with more capacity than my hotmail one) that would be great. I have yet to go to the Phuket/Krabi area.

Thanks en groetjes,

Tycona.

Hi Tycona,

Thanks, and yes, soooo lucky !

As a matter of fact, august was first on the planning board, but that was way too long to wait, so I was able to advance that to mid-july for 2 weeks.

Next is mid-october for 2 weeks and new year holidays as well......

And I might just squeeze last week of august in as well !!! that just to make sure to keep my GF warm at night.

And the best part is that march / april 2003 I will move part-time to BKK ( 8 months a year ! ).

Cheers !

Archived