Peeves

DEl BOY,

can you give examples of BLATANT over-charging. This happens, no doubt, but i do not see it as a fixture of thai behaviour towards farangs. I was charged once 10 bahts too much for a kao pat and the thai guy next to me scolded the woman. My biggest peeve is you don't always get the service you asked for. Oh, yes, i hate it when my g/f watches soaps on TV, and i want quiet. Noise in general is a given, thais can sleep thru it, i can't.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my major pet peeves when I was living in Thailand was gai bans, house chickens.

I understand the concept of roosters crowing at the rising sun. I don't understand why Thai roosters choose to crow two of three hours ahead of the sun rise.

Very early one morning I got myself into a bit of trouble when my neighbor's rooster chose to wake me yet again at 4:30 AM. I had way more than enough and proceeded to throw a shoe at the bird.

Unfortunately my aim was dead on and, as a result, I killed the rooster.

I refused to buy my neighbor a new rooster, but I did buy her several pounds of chicken meat.

Also, I agree with Roger, that dropping the GF because waiters ignore you is a little severe.

You might want to practice your pronunciation. Waiters are lazy when it comes to listening. This can be a big problem when outside the area where you learned to speak as there are multiple dialects. Having good basic pronunciation eliminates this problem most times.

I used to suffer from this problem when I first lived in Thailand, now after 8 years of speaking Thai, I can usually get the point accross.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Brink15 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dan:

Damn ice! Who wants some coke with their ice?

I thought this deserved a mention although trivial it is, but I was reminded of this peeve today as I splurged and paid 40 baht for a supposedly deluxe ice coffee.

There must have been a 1:9 ratio of coffee to ice.

Will I buy another ice-coffee there? No. Thais don't learn, I'm convinced.

Have you ever had a soft drink in an american movie theater? about same 9/10 ratio of ice.

We learn, so they don't have to learn. Much faster that way.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dan:

Damn ice! Who wants some coke with their ice?

I thought this deserved a mention although trivial it is, but I was reminded of this peeve today as I splurged and paid 40 baht for a supposedly deluxe ice coffee.

There must have been a 1:9 ratio of coffee to ice.

Will I buy another ice-coffee there? No. Thais don't learn, I'm convinced.

Too much ice is better then no ice. Take my word for it! One of my peeves about Burma was ice was a very scarce commodity and when you were lucky enough to find some no ice scoop was used.

Just some guy who hasn't washed his hands in who knows how long...yeach.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: sanukdee ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

One of my major peeves (and it happened to me yesterday)

Waiters/waitresses who give you the menu and then stand there with pen and notebook before you've even had chance to open the f***ing thing.

I thought so too at first, but actually this is GOOD! Definately better than the waiter diappearing and having to wait until he shows up to take your order.

She is there to discuss the options with you, help you make a choice, give you the current price on items like fresh seafood, if there are any specials, etc.

It made me feel uncomfortable at first because I worry that I was waisting her time while she waited for me to make a choice. Not anymore. THIS is why there are loads of watresses in all but the smallest restaurants.

Of course the majority is not very useful in helping you make a choice (Q:"What's good? - A: "Blank stare or uncomfortable smile"), but the few that are useful, even make good suggestions are well on their way to a big tip.

I will never forget the one who said "We have really strange mushrooms today and I don't know what they're called but they're good!!!"

More often than not at my favorite restaurants these days I end up not looking at the menu but enter in this 10 minute menu-negotiation with the waitress. You get some really good food this way.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Cheers,

Chanchao

1) at the health club: the staff member stands next to your machine and stares at you, watches every move like he has never seen anyone run that long before

2) talking during the the movies !!

quote:

Posted by Chanchao

She is there to discuss the options with you, help you make a choice, give you the current price on items like fresh seafood, if there are any specials, etc.

ROFLMAO

No she's not Chanchao - she's there to annoy me.

quote:

Originally posted by Brink15:

Also, I agree with Roger, that dropping the GF because waiters ignore you is a little severe.

You might want to practice your pronunciation. Waiters are lazy when it comes to listening. This can be a big problem when outside the area where you learned to speak as there are multiple dialects. Having good basic pronunciation eliminates this problem most times.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Brink15 ]

Waiters usually understand me fine when I'm not with a Thai. They'll actually make the effort to understand. With a Thai at the table many suddenly can't understand anything!

Chanchao wrote:

I will never forget the one who said "We have really strange mushrooms today and I don't know what they're called but they're good!!!"

If the waitress said the mushrooms were PLAEK MAK it could mean "really strange" but my guess is that she said PLAEK CHING which means something more like "wonderful".

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

[qb]OK, in general, I love being in Thailand, but a few things continue to annoy me here on an almost daily basis:

5) Getting overchanged because I'm a farang. Some restaurants are even so blantant as to have signs up that say "Thai People Price" (in thai of course).

Am I alone here?[/quote

answering in good fun:

1)TIT. this means you are in Thailand, not US anymore. Not a bad sign

2)yeah, and when you most need it, your g/f turns it off...

3)drop your G/F

4)carry a business suitcase. And no shorts!

5)in Phetchaboon?

Where are you, BTW?[/QB]

5) I've seen 2 restaurants in Pattaya with the "raka kon thai" signs. Never anywhere else. I'm guessing it happens where there are lots of foreign and local tourists (like Pattaya)

Where am I? Back in the US (portland)visiting family, friends, paying taxes, etc.... have a ticket back to LOS aug. 6th.

Archived