Peeves

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by tanha:

"excess taxis in bkk is a big time plus- try getting a taxi in singapore in the rain"

True. I've occasionally waited 1 1/2 hours, during afternoon rush hour in the rain. The only upside compared to Bangkok are the numerous taxi stands. Smoking prohibited if there are more than 3 persons in the queue!

I guess the traffic problem in BKK is so bad that it doesn't even need mentioning. I kind of like BKK, but the MIND-NUMBING traffic is something that would keep me from ever living there. It's just rediculous. Two weeks ago: 70 minutes to go from Sukhumvit 19 to bradtoonaam market (near pantip plza)?!?! It's only like 5KM!

How do you Bangkok residents deal with it?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bungie6 wrote:

quote:

My biggest peeve, by far, is the tuk tuk drivers in Chiangmai. It annoys me no end that they honk at me and pull up beside me when they see me walking. Don't they think I'm capable of sticking my hand out and hailing a cab if I want one? I get this all the time because I walk miles a day.

Hey B6 -

Don't you know walking is bad for the economy!? Get with the program...burn some damn hydrocarbons (and not just off the bottoms of your shoes.)

Zane

Where am I? Back in the US (portland)visiting family, friends, paying taxes, etc.... have a ticket back to LOS aug. 6th.[/QB]

Guess you like it over there! LOL

I am amazed at the info on thai prices as a bill policy. You should tell us where these restaurants are so we boycott them and and they can go back to thai income too....

Pattaya127,

When the motorbike taxi guys outside my house charge me 30 baht for a journey and they charge my girlfriend 20 baht for the same journey, what would your explanation for this be?

Tuk-tuk drivers and motorbike taxis are the most obvious examples of overcharging, but when we need something for the house, my gf tells me to let her go buy it, because it will be cheaper.

Another peeve - going to a market and people riding their motorbikes through the congested alleyways. When I hear one behind me, revving up to let me know they are there, I just slow right down and make sure they can't get past.

quote:

When the motorbike taxi guys outside my house charge me 30 baht for a journey and they charge my girlfriend 20 baht for the same journey, what would your explanation for this be?

This is double-pricing of the worst sort! In this case if I know what a motorcycle taxi journey costs, I just give him the money at the end and walk off. If they get mouthy (which they very rarely do) I'll just ask him why farangs should pay more? They never have an answer for it.

I found that the trick with the motor bike taxis who ply their trade along the sois off Sukumwit is not to ask them the cost, just tell them where you want to go. Find out beforehand how much the local Thais pay for the journey (eg from your appartment to the end of the soi) and just pay this at journey's end and walk off. If you ask the price they know you don't know the going rate and will increase it accordingly.

This method generally seems to work.

The way bar-girls and others of similar English ability say "too much" instead of "very much" and "you boring with me?" when they mean "bored".

I mean, you drill them again and again (oo-er!) and they just can't get it.

Ooo - it gets my goat..

Even very advanced English speakers can't sort out the 'ed' and 'ing' ending on adjectives (bored, excited, frustrated)

I'm convinced it's one of the trickiest parts of learning English for a Thai - or they just don't get it!

Pattaya127,

"can you give examples of BLATANT over-charging"

I quote a note at Phu Kradung National park entrance: "As of october 2000 foreign visitors will be charged 200 baht entry fee in order to contribute to the preservation of our natural resources"

I was wit my gf and paid 200 for me and 20 for her. Foreign visitor? 10 x the thai price. I wrote to the TAT who replied this was a decision made by the Royal Forest Department Director General and this rule can be applied at any National Park.

I know some people agree with such pratice, I have the word "Discrimination" for this practice.

Some hotels also enjoy this practice: arrived at Khorat busstation, my gf phones Chom Surang, she gives my name, gets a quote of 1200b, Lonely Planet says 850. I disagree, they answer 600b. One hour later in the levator, conversation of 4 thais: did the same, got quoted 1000b, paid 500b.

Aha farng paid 100b more....

agree with Phil. if you know the price, and mean it, they usuallly back off because they know you know. As it happens, it is not a peeve limited to Thailand (try taxi drivers in N. Y.), but in all tourist destinations, including Europe ( i often had to fight my way for the correct change in Italy). Also, thais also love to rip other thais if they are unaware of prices. few times, i have to warn my g/f about things or services she has little idea of the fair price. really!

PS: if the worst sort of overcharging is a 10 baht rip-off, LOS is truly paradise! LOL

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

Archived