orchids

thalenoi

Ten years ago buying a small box of orchids at Dong Muang costed you 300 baht, a big one 500.

Checked prices this week, small 780, did not dare looking at bigger boxes. These price are a rip-off.

On my last trip back to Europe I decided to try a shop around Villa Market at Emporium/ Phrom Phong area on Sukhumvit. No problem, they couls take care of the special packaging. Most of the flowers only last a few days, I don't think they were fresh cuts.

I now just bought a bunch of the most ordinary orchids (the mauve ones) around Thong Lo BTS station for the incredible amount of 10 baht, travelled carefully with them and they are doing fine. Seems to be the right way to go.

Any other flower experiences out there?

Unless you have a special permit from the US Department of Agriculture, you cannot enter the US with any type of plant material. I'm with the above poster, I buy orchids at the weekend market, and put them in my hotel room. Why? I'm an amateur orchid grower in the US and one stem of a common dendrobium costs about a buck fifty in the states. 50 stems cost 50 Baht in BKK.

Archived