Stunned into Disbelief

legover

A friend and I have a platonic friend, female, owns her own business, quite attractive, mother of three, known her for 6 months.

We invited her to lunch at a 5 star hotel the next day to join our party of five, a big treat for me. At 12.30 next day we arrived at her shop in the taxi to pick her up.

She emerged from her shop with her two sons, one of the son?s girlfriends plus one of her girlfriends from the next shop. All five in her party proceeded to get into the taxi. The five of us in my party gaped in amazement as this happened, everyone stunned into disbelief this woman would extend the invitation given solely to her, to her grown children plus her and their other friends.

During the ride to the hotel in the taxi this woman expressed disdain about the cab, an open baht bus style vehicle, making faces of displeasure and holding her nose to stem the slight smell of exhaust. When we arrived at the hotel and got to the dining room they peeled off as a separate group and sat at another table. Neither party communicated with the other for whole time of the meal. After the meal one of my friends and I went out for a smoke leaving the elderly couple in our group alone. While we were away the other party started to play out-of-tune songs on the table glasses annoying everyone in the dining room.

My friend and I split the considerable bill for the other party of five after this woman made no attempt to offer to cover for the uninvited sons and girlfriends, quintupling her bill.

The taxi was due back to pick us up at 4 pm but by 3.30 one of the girl?s from the other group came to tell us the taxi had arrived. After lingering a while longer we went out to the taxi to find this woman had been waiting for us for 10 minutes expressing more displeasure having been kept waiting.

We returned to our homes and she got out and left with her party without thanking anyone.

Apart from the obvious mistake of attempting to make any sort of friendship with this woman in hindsight, do the members have any comments on this strange incident.

a definite first for me. do any members have similar stories of thais taking advantage as of right?

My own feeling was she had some terrific nerve to behave in this outrageous way. we said nothing, allowing her and the other four in her party to save face, at our expense which I figured was more a practical line of approach than being ungentlemanly. However, I doubt I?d allow a repeat performance, face or no face. Never again.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<A friend and I have a platonic friend, female, owns her own business>>

Can I assume this 'lady' isn't a bg and infact a 'GTG' (jeez I hate that abbreviation more and moremad.gif)

Nothing more to say.

>>do any members have similar stories of thais taking advantage as of right? <<

Yes, it wasn`t in LOS but the circumstances were almost identical.

The woman in question was thai and recently divorced from her farang husband. She was out looking for a replacement and met someone who kind of fancied her and subsequently invited her out to lunch.

When he came to pick her up she was waiting in her room with 4 hungry (and broke - aren`t they all?) thai friends.

Now this guy apparently quickly came to the conclusion that there was no point in getting deeper involved with this individual, so he dropped all of them in front of the restaurant, gave the girl in question the equivalent of 500bht. and said: "Enjoy your meal" after which he took off leaving them in front of the restaurant.

I guess he didn`t care much about the face thing.

Hua Nguu.

a 'GTG' (jeez I hate that abbreviation more and more)

[color:purple] I tend to use the term "non-BG" or "NBG" these days. Don't want to say more as this volatile topic could kill the purpose of the thread before it gets going. color=purple>

I've had similiar scenes with uninvited guest but not as bad.

There was this one Thai guy (uninvited) who ordered the most expensive things on the menu and never said a word (except to the waitress). He also ordered cigarrettes, ashtray, and matches much to my dismay... avid non smoker that I am.

All--

Geez.. Talk about "give and inch, take a foot"....

--UPSer

PS: At least it only cost you a meal to find out she's a butt-head.

IMHO...

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that many Thais are much more high maintenance then they initially appear(but certainly not all).

Two years ago there was a young, very attractive, Asian girl working in our office, in the US. She didn't seem to socialize much and when I saw how her name was spelled I knew she was probably Thai and made a point to try and chat with her. Well, now I know why no one socialized with her. Apart from her initial "shy" demeanor, it quickly became clear she was a very selfish, high maintenance, snob who felt everyone was beneath her. I've also found that the "mai pen rai" thing only seems to apply to certain Thai people. Because for many, when something doesn't go as they would like, they can quickly become intolerant whinny children. BTW, this has been my experience, not with all but with a surprising number, and almost always women and rarely men, and I would add BGs seem less prone to this behavior(though not exclusively) then regular Thai women.

Believe it or not sometimes I feel MORE comfortable with BGs because I know what to expect and usually they seem to understand falangs from having worked with them a lot. Also they usually come from a poor back ground and are generally less snobbish.

Ok, flame away!!!!

Archived