Stunned into Disbelief

legover

I am called cheap and used to it.

----------------------------

youre doing great, It's the best reputation one can have in Thailand and i am glad i am not alone wink.gif

Ps: in the french farmland, little towns, it is also the custom that when funerals happen, the son of the deceased pays a few rounds of drinks at the local watering hole. mainly, the custom being that while doing so, you reminisce about the one who passed away. It happened to my father, and yes, i am sure that a few were happy to get in just to get a free drink.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was shocked.

-----------------------------

you should not be. maybe you read too many bad threads on nana, i dunno. I told the stort once of being stuck in the middle of nowhere, with a car gear stuck in rear. The repairshop owner could have taken advantage of the situation, especially as i had to wake him up (6.30am) but he charged me 150 bahts, for the 90 minutes he worked on the shift, which included parts. then, there was the time when.... Ah, keeping it for another time!

I actually looked back for a poster called "OP"!

It is early morning where I am.

I hope you are right, although I do not think I posted that this was 'normal Thai behaviour', I certainly know it more prevalent in Thailand than say the USA. I also saw this 'foreigner shall pay all cos he is rich' attitude in Peru and Venezuela . But strangely the opposite in the Philippines - a very poor country. I was hoping to have this phenomina explained to me by some reader who 'understood'.

I agree with you, other than perhaps the driving habits I have had no complaint about Thai manners.

Not hinting at anything. take comments as light-heartedly as possible, this board is for the fun of it, a little poking, teasing or testing is more than often meant with no harm in mind. i think Oran and I tried to put the post in the thai perspective of things. Jasmine added on to it. Our comments are just pointers to codes of behaviours we experienced in thai society. Either this woman was rude and taking advantage, acted "a la thai", or a bit in the middle where usually the truth is often found at. All of this was covered in the thread, IMO.

I had a similar experience, but without the blatant abuse, thanks for posting fripence.

Here's an excerpt from a post I made on another board:

The next day (Friday) when I woke up with her at six am (as I always do), I just felt comfortable and went back to sleep until 10 a.m. That?s a big thing for a neurotic guy like myself, to wake up at work time and just drift off back to sleep with a stranger.... good sign, maybe. After waking and spending some quality morning time, I told Skeeter that I was going to hang out with Al at the pool during the day. I suggested that he try to find a date for a nice dinner, if he was interested in attending, or go solo to dinner at his preference. Later, after I spoke with Skeeter, I found out Al?s mother and sister were coming into town, as her sister?s husband was coming in from England for Easter weekend. So, I told her to take off in the early afternoon and told her I would pick her up for dinner at her bar around eight-thirty. I had really wanted to go to PIC Kitchen or Brunos during my trip, and this seemed like the right girl to take. I walked around during the afternoon, grabbed sushi at the Big C, and made reservations for four at PIC Kitchen at 9:30.

Skeeter got back in the afternoon around 5:00 and told me he had found a tailor and also an older beer bar girl who was a little heavy and had once been a traditional Thai dancer. I told him that if we are in a city with probably 5,000 beautiful girls, why doesn?t he treat himself right and pull himself a hot one? He, as usual, was assertive with me only and waved me off and said she was expecting him. However, after we drank for awhile and went to our separate rooms to shower, Skeeter appeared in my room at about 7:30 and stated that he changed his mind and did want to find a new girl. So off we went, somewhat on a mission, as Skeeter had to get to the tailor before the dinner reservations. Long story short, after about 45 minutes of hitting a few trusty gogo establishments, Skeeter was able to pull a great girl from Rodeo. As a coincidence, she was dressed beautifully in total non-bargirl attire consisting of a sarong and nice silk top. Very classy girl also ? way to go Skeeter, finally off the schnide. Skeeter left to go to the tailor and planned meet us later at PIC Kitchen.

When I went into the gogo to pick up Al, .... WHOA BOY! - her mother, younger sister, nephew and a bargirl from their hometown were there. Her older sister had been there but went to pick up her husband (Mark) from England from the bus station. WTF!! O.K. Hub, think on your feet here....... I invite them to dinner (damn, what was I thinking!!). BTW ? Al was saying we?d just go to dinner by ourselves and that they were only there because everyone wanted to see each other before she left for the night (I believe she was sincere).

It wouldnt have been such a bad idea, but the PIC Kitchen was just a little inappropriate as I had a reservation for four, we now had ten, and Al?s relatives had not been told we were going to a nice place (i.e., to dress up). It would have worked out better if we just went to a casual outdoor place, which Al was trying to hint at later in the baht bus, but I had no way to get in touch with Skeeter and I?m a stubborn idiot anyways. Well, Mark (the brother in law) showed up 20 minutes later and we just went ahead to the restaurant. The staff at PIC was gracious enough to accommodate us, and put us up in the jazz lounge for about 20 minutes while they sorted a table for ten below. Mark, Skeeter, and myself each ordered a bottle of wine (nice wine menu available). This place is nice and I?d like to come back again (without the extra pressure) and drink some scotch and listen to some jazz.

Skeeter and I initially told Al to just order for everybody, then Skeeter and I both stupidly added three or four dishes, as her order didn?t seem enough. I say stupidly because we only ate about half of the food (which was good, BTW). Total bill was around 7000 baht, but would?ve been three times that in the US. Skeeter and Mark offered to chip in, but I declined their help as it was my call. A little expensive, but I was on vacation so I didn?t lose sleep over it. We later went to Xcyte with Al?s sister and Marc, and Skeeter and his date.

Al?s sister and brother in law come into Xcyte after I picked up the tab at PIC Kitchen and get themselves drink without asking me, Al, or my friend for one. I was a little lit up (maow) and forgot that you get a drink ticket when you walk in. So he just ordered for him and his wife, we already had drinks in front of us. However, this really pissed me off, I don?t mind spending but hate being taken advantage of. It takes quite a bit to piss me off, and I don?t know why, but it did. When I?m that pissed off I just usually smile and was smiling this time. However, Al turns around in the dark disco and says something like - Oh my god, what?s wrong honey? I couldn?t believe she picked up that quick that I was pissed. I can get away with that in my office without a lot of people knowing, but she just did. I told her nothing but she didn?t believe me, turned around again in a minute and asked me again and told me she didn?t believe me when I said - nothing, everything?s fine. I finally told her I would tell her later. Meanwhile, her brother in law later ended up buying several rounds of flaming B-52?s and asked us if I needed a drink a few times so it was pretty much unfounded.

Anyways, somewhat of a similar story. As a post note, the girl Al had taken the next day off and had asked me to spend it with her. It almost seemed like pressure though, because of the money spent the night before and her family was still around, so I blew her off (like the jerk I am).

Whatever. I still remember her fondly.

Hub

The staff at PIC was gracious enough to accommodate us, and put us up in the jazz lounge for about 20 minutes

---------------------------

unrelated, but PIC tricks all guests in waiting in the bar, "while we set up your table". It does not matter if you are 2 or 10, you will wait 20 minutes, time for them to ask you if you want to drink something, and drinks are expensive in that place. Last time, 2 couples of us went and we played the joke on them, saying "no, thank you, we will just wait". They really did not seem used to that answer, and kept asking us and we had the same reply everytime. Ahah! What part of NO they don't understand laugh.gif

Archived