GF in jail

iuytrede

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I learned from boardmembers, friends and my embassy I figured there was a fair chance that her story was true. (BTW she is not a bargirl)

Maybe she asked for a little bit too much, but in her situation one would rather err on the high side.

I sent her 24000 B (not an enormous amount of money for me, but a lot more than I have ever given her). I have known her for 2 years and I would like to know her longer.

She sent me a "Thank-you"-postcard and told me that after her first appearance at court she had to go to court every week or so to "write signature" - until she would receive her sentence.. She always went with her dad.

It always took just one minute, so today she went alone - but today she received her sentence!

5000 B, plus an unspecified amount for the police. So she does not have to go to jail after all. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I am sure when I come to Bangkok next week she will be waiting for me at the airport with 19000 Baht in her hands, plus tax-free interest...

BTW just for information purposes she let me know today that dad has to go to court this week because "police catch him" - because he owes several hundred thousand baht to several people.

So just for information purposes I am asking you: can not paying your debt land you in jail in Thailand? I thought it is part of the local culture...

Thanks for all your answers.

Wooo Nellie.. glad she is out of the slammer but I think some re-evaluation is at hand. I hope that unspecified amount to the police isn't 19,000. What is she going to get into next? A girlfriend who gets drunk and steals perfume to impress her parents? Stickman's mate was right--they are as cunning as a fox and as logical as a goldfish. And one of her relatives was just locked up. This seems like a shady crowd you are running with. Good luck

• [color:blue]"I am sure when I come to Bangkok next week she will be waiting for me at the airport with 19000 Baht in her hands, plus tax-free interest..."color=blue>

Please continue posting. Good luck! smile.gif

"BTW just for information purposes she let me know today that dad has to go to court this week because "police catch him" - because he owes several hundred thousand baht to several people. "

Surprised this thread came from Iyutrede.She may not be a BG

but she definetely counts on U to solve her family financial troubles,wich seem great.She gets drunk and shoplifts...her father doesn't pay back his loans and she whines for help...Doesn't look like a great investment of your time and money.I'd suggest to get rid of her but you're a grown up

Good luck anyway

Ya know, iuytrede says that 24,000 baht is not too much for him. So who would I be to say he made the wrong decision. Maybe iuytrede got a good feeling doing what he did. Maybe iuytrede is going to get a lot of reward for what he did for the thai girl. Maybe he will fall in love and live happily ever after wtih a beautiful thai girl. Maybe 24,000 baht towards a dream of love and happiness is not too much?

Don't ya love us newbies? ha ha

I met the manager and the security manager of the Carrefour store today, and it turned out that her story was 100% true (they actually showed me the report), includingt many details.

As for the sums of money involved: Carrefour will not call the police for theft of little value (eg less than 100 B) - just pay the price of the merchandise - and for theft of minors and students (they will notify parents or teachers). 1400 B is considered a lot and they called the police. The police will want at leat 30000 B to release someone, or a government official as a guarantor - and the sum will double for theft committed during the night (GF stole in the evening and complained a lot that the police pretended it was in the night).

That she paid only 5000 B in the end is considered very good luck (or maybe it helps to have an uncle who is a politician?).

I am glad I could help her stay out of jail. It was definitely worth the money. 24000 is a small sum to help someone stay out of Thai prison - anyone.

It still was not a good investment - she left me in the meantime for another guy who seems to be more generous.

So I didn't actually get anything for my money.

Archived