tooth fillings in amalgam

thai3

What's the truth about amalgam fillings being toxic due to the mercury content? Some sources say yes, just as many others say no there is nothing to worry about. I think they stopped using amalgam for fillings in sweeden? years ago because of this. I have a LOT of amalgam fillings and have wondered about them being related to long term health problems, especially stomach related.

Recenty we had a woman at work who had 16 mercury fillings replaced and she said the change was amazing, much more energy and gastro intestinal problems cleared up. Dentists I have asked seem divided, the expensive ones urge having fillings replaced-peter

Mercury is thought to be quite safe whilst it remains part of the amalgam filling - the debates, or strong concerns, stem from the removal/replacement of these amalgam fillings - despite dentists taking all available precautions with dams in your mouth, suction devices etc, the worry is that serious levels of toxicity is unavoidably realeased when these fillings are removed - it's a noble idea to replace these fillings but not if the process leads to your death! I think that is where the debate is stuck at - those that say mercury must be removed from the mouth at all costs vs those that say the cost could well be fatal or serious mercury toxic poisioning which kills as we know with fish/sharks etc.

I don't know about your situation, but my mouth is full of amalgam and that is the way it is gonna stay!

Oh, and with the Dentist opinion thing re getting expensive work done......next time, just for a giggle, when you need to consult a dentist try several - one you absolutely trust to give fair advice and at least a couple of others.........my bet is that you will always find two-thirds of the dentists recommend immediate expensive treatment on urgent problems that the "trustworthy" dentist simply says "that's bullshit" ! Like some doctors who massively overprescribe there are many dentists who stretch the truth for economic(huge) reward.

>What's the truth about amalgam fillings being toxic due to the mercury content?

I have also quite a load of amalgam fillings. My dentists (the old and new one) have never urged getting them replaced. However, over the years he seems to be using other materials much more than before. I believe this is more for cosmetic reasons than anything else - those dark gobs of amalgam are not that attractive...

Sometimes this is clearly not practical, and he does not appear to hesitate using amalgam. For instance, he has never asked, if I would prefer gold fillings, instead. wink.gif

Wagner

Peter,

What's the truth? well, that depends on who you listen to. Here in the good ol USA the dental establishment absolutely denies any problem with 'silver' amalgam (BTW, silver amalgam contains only about 35% silver while half the amalgam is mercury). On the other hand, the World Health Organization (don't have much faith in this outfit due to their AIDS propaganda) says just one silver amalgam filling can release 3 to 17 micrograms of mercury into your body a day...

Germany banned the use of silver amalgam in 1992, but maybe the dentists there don't know anything... Anyway, a year or two ago after reading some of the negative stuff on mercury fillings I decided to have mine (and I had quite a few) replaced with an acrylic resin, which once in place looks like a natural healthy tooth. The stuff ain't cheap. It cost me over $2000 (US) to have the lower fillings replaced requiring five or six visits. I still have about an equal amount of work to be done on the upper teeth, but decided it just wasn't worth the expense and discomfort to continue with the replacements. However, in the future should I need any new fillings I will definitely go with the acrylic resin - no more mercury for me.

ST

Archived