Exchanging money

CVB,

The lattest that I personally have exchanged at BKK is 1:20am, after a very late arrival from NRT... I would imagine that the exchange booths are open whenever there are flights arriving... Do Not exchange any in the airports in the U.S., unless you are prepared to take a bath on the rate...

Enjoy!

Pianoman

Just bewere that Atm's can run out money just when you need it. Try buying some baht at a money exchange before leaving. I always take about $50.00 in local money to tide me over. That's one less thing to worry about after landing. I take enought for at least transport to my hotel. To many other distractions like finding your bag's, customs, etc.

Having local money in your pocket before arriving lets you get about without worrying about what time you arrive.

I really wouldn't sweat it dude, you have many options! As for buying Bhat in the states or wherever before you leave, I wouldn't, you will get burned big time on the exchange. The shylock in SFO only gives something like 37nht/usd so you can the commission is alsmost 20% not really worth it.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

All-

If the ATM you try first is all tapped out there are a few others.. One is BETWEEN the first (arrivals) and second (departues) floors.. the other is on the departues level right by the Thai post office.. There is another one in the domestic terminal, between Thai and Angel air check-in..

I'd be very suprised that all of the ATM's are empty...

If you still are baht-less at this point. (Which has happened to me in the past) I'd get a taxi and have him stop at an ATM ON THE WAY to your hotel..

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[uPS'ers 2001 total flying mileage = 974,653]

I normally arrive after midnight and always found the airport changers open. Their rates are pretty good (unlike some other countries). You can't rely on the ATM at the airport as I tried two weeks ago when I arrived and it didn't work.

Archived