Tyler's Techy Awards!

hehe, just wanted to share some software/links that I thought are cool to know/have.

www.deviantart.com (good graphics site)

www.neowin.net (win customizations!)

www.pocomail.com (good email program that's skinnable and free! yesterday the site was h4x0red by somebody though frown.gif ) actually, it's still h4x0red!!! >_< damn hackers....

www.themexp.org (wallpapers, logins, bootscreen, vis themes)

www.pricewatch.com (don't buy another brand name pooter again! make it yourself, it's like snap-on!)

www.virtual-hideout.net/ (insane PC modz and such)

www.tgsoft.com (stylexp make your windoze look g00d!)

www.metafilter.com (funny daily headlines)

www.fark.com (same as above)

www.trillian.com (all in one instant messenger prog)

www.isbister.com (time & chaos: a really good PIM, better than outlook imho)

www.hoverdesk.net (an alternative to the windows shell)

www.2advanced.com (how flashsites should be like)

www.edexter.com/edexter.htm (program that blocks banners and replaces them with a transparent one to speed up websurfing)

www.arsware.org/coolmon/ (prog that lets you see system info on your desktop)

hmmn... I'll put more when I can think straight.

actually, anyone know of a GOOD time zone program? I've used h9k timer(www.h9k.com) and am using qlock atm. They're both kind of clunky. If only there was a way to add another timer in the taskbar....

KS,

I used to use mailwasher. Thing is I get lazy. I hate having to open up 2 programs to do 1 task. My primary email was getting way to much spam, well that address was 5+ years old. So I dumped it and created a new one. Most email programs come with some form of spam filtering. I think the most beneficial way to combat spam is to check your pooter for spyware every week(Adaware). btw, never bounce spam back to the spammers! It doesn't do a darn thing except notify them that your email addy is alive and running!

Hi,

"I think the most beneficial way to combat spam is to check your pooter for spyware every week(Adaware)."

Agree.

"btw, never bounce spam back to the spammers! It doesn't do a darn thing except notify them that your email addy is alive and running! "

Wrong. If you bounce it directly from the server they get a 'this account does not exist' message.

Sanuk!

KS,

I have been using mailwasher now for 4 months after seeing your recommendation on the board and it is a great programme to sort out the junk and spam mail, I also like that my anti virus protection picks up the viruses on the server before I download them to my pc.

Thanks for the tip smile.gif

KS,

Wrong. If you bounce it directly from the server they get a 'this account does not exist' message.

you mean that the spammers get that message when you bounce the spam? wouldn't that be considered a response? hmmn, dunno but I'm pretty sure I read in some "techy" board that by bouncing emails, it's like sending up a flag saying that this email is g00d for spammage.

KS is correct if the spammer gets the domain wrong he gets a non routable error if he gets the domain but not the account he gets the no account error. In either case, as far as the spammers mail transfer agent is concerned, it means that there is no recepient and the mail gets bounced either by the spammers MTA or by the recepients MTA. Of course there are a lot of big ifs involved namely that the spammer is spewing spam with forged headers that don't provide a proper return address and the second is that your MTA will bounce mail with a no account error.

AG

Guys,

I'd like to see repeat spammers given jail time. Seriously.

These people are the terrorists of the Net. Actually, they are worse - terrorists (theoretically, anyway) believe in something other than money.

As for the architects of sites which use multiple popups, disable the 'Back' button etc - lets just dispense with the judicial system and move straight to the execution. smile.gif

Archived