Does Common Sense Exist In Thailand?

You seem to know so much about me.

What I know.

What I don't know.

Where I have been.

Where I have not been.

FYI, I have been all over this country and never seen a clay pot.

DD

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GTG,

Taking your shoes of before you enter a house is not considered "common sense". That is more of a cultural practice.

You can also vacum a carpet everyday, so what ?

Is that the best example of "Thai common sense" you can come up with? Taking your shoes off???

DD

"personally, i believe that the first common sense thing is as an expat, that you learn how to speak the language of the country you are living in. "

I have to disagree with that statement. It probably is true for the people that have chosen to try and find a career in Thailand, but those people I consider to be more (wannabe) immigrants and not expats.

Like you, I get very irritated with people that speak badly of everything Thai. The only thing I can ever think of to say to them is "Go Home".

TH

Although I have been here now over eight years, I still consider myself an ex-pat. And in a country such as Thailand where the level of English proficiency is very low, knowing the local language makes sense. Ex-pats can get by in Bangkok without knowing Thai, but they miss out on a great deal if they don't know the language.

For example, it is fun to simply listen to conversations in Thai when the people around don't realize that you can understand virtually everything they are saying. You learn a great deal.

Growing up in the U.S., I was always irritated by the jingoistic: "America - love it or leave it." I am equally irritated by the Thai equivalent. There are positive and negative aspects to Thailand, and it is helpful to talk about both. I am certainly not taking issue with your criticism of those who "speak badly of everything Thai," but we also do not want to shut out criticism of everything Thai.

Archived